Looking to start building hen houses

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stirkle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. stirkle

stirkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi guys,

I am looking to start building and selling hen houses with verrrrrry little experience in carpentry... Just wondering if it is fairly easy and if anyone had any tips on tools, woods and any instructions on building etc.

Any help would be great [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am a bit puzzled by your choice to do this (in particular) if you have "verrrry little experience in carpentry"... while it is certainly easily-doable to make a coop for *yourself* as a first project, making and selling them to OTHERS is a totally different kettle of fish because it requires high-quality workmanship and the ability to work fast and source/use materials economically, none of which can be learned out of a book. (If you do an amateurish job for yourself, who cares, the chickens certainly don't; but if you want people to pay for it, and pay more than you paid yourself for the materials, it needs to be well done. And the longer it takes you to build the thing, the higher a markup you need to be able to sell the thing at in order to be paid reasonably for your time)

I would suggest building a few coops for yourself, or as an experiment to try to sell, and see how you feel about it after you're done with that. It will certainly be an entertaining and educational project in and of itself, and if you do it right you will no longer be quite so inexperienced afterwards, either [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by