Looks like a broken neck......geezzzz

Thelmaandlouise

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Hello from Austin Texas.....Ok, my two pets are Thelma (Americauna) and Louise(New Hampshire Red) Both are 5 weeks old. At 2 or 3 weeks, Husband noticed Louise only did right hand turns......eventually her neck is at almost a 90degree angle! But she eats just fine, is a sweetheart, loves to be held.......She seems a bit pidgeon toed.....and sometimes first thing in the am runs backward for a few feet.....But she can catch bugs before Thelma even sees them! I massage her neck 3 times a day....her head is crooked to the right....I can carefully turns her little beak till her head is "on straight" (this REALLY sounds funny to describe....) She seems to enjoy the therapy....but the head returns to its crooked position.....The feed store lady says maybe I could like "adjust" it like a chiropractor? But geez, seems like I could also break her little neck!? These two are my babies/pets and if other chicks start giving her a hard time , I have no problem bringing her in the house and treating her like a parrot, you know? I have 4 more 1 week old chicks still under heat lamp and will put them with Thelma and Louise at some point. I have a 40 yr old huge chicken coop out back and Thelma and Louise live out there now.....Been staying the nite out there for 3 nites and are doing fine.......

I just want to know if ANYONE has had this problem with Louises neck?

Thank you and I am so EXCITED about this backyardchicken website!!!!!

Hope

Sounds like wry neck, caused by a vitamin deffincency, heres a link that might help and
welcome-byc.gif
theres is alot of info on BYC about wry neck so if you think this might be what your chick has go to google chrome at top right of page and type in wry neck for more info.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4820507

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom