1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looks like a hernia? Pics added... he was culled, but pics might help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grog, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I just had a chick hatch out and he looks like his guts are comin out through what would be his belly button. No one else had the happen. Will he be ok or is this a cull? I will try for a pic in a sec.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You should cull that chick immediately.

3. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are the best I can do

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Wait a minute - that could be just unabsorbed yolk - do you SEE intestines? They'll look just like you imagine, like curly little worms. This, from what I can see, appears to be unabsorbed yolk. IF that's what it is, it should be okay, but I woudl leave it in your bator to absorb the yolk so the others don't peck at it, which would be the end of it.

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Part of it looks like unabsorbed yolk. Part of it looks like guts [​IMG]
    If you know for sure it isn't yolk, then cull.
    Sorry.

6. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    I just noticed when he struggles around the sack get really big and then subsides when he sits still

NVM it is a full hernia he just dumped his guts in it perminatly [​IMG] I gotta cull him

any sugestion on how? I know it seems wierd to ask that, but if it was a big bird I would shoot it.... that might be a problem with this guy

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    A pair of kitchen shears will do the trick and it would be quick. Not fun to have to cull. Sorry about your little chick [​IMG]

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i know it sounds mean but i know people who use a shovel. but its quick. and they bury it after. i hope none of mine hatch like this, idk if id be able to cull it.

9. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    the sheers thing was great(as great as this thing can be) very quick. just do it over the disposal vessal and you can leave right away.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had many many hatches and this hatch is the first hatch where I had a chick hatch with some of the yolk sack hanging of its butt. I will see how it is tomorrow. Most of the eggs have hatched so I'm leaving it in the incubator so the other chicks won't peck at it. It looks now like it is drying up. Will see tomorrow how it looks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by