Looks like a RIR, white ears, single comb-what are they?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by McGoo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I went by a farm earlier today and saw a flock of reddish hens and a roo - who looked single colored (hard to tell he was in an indoor pen). They had light (white?) colored legs, single comb, and white ears. What are they? Thanks [​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Sound like red leghorns to me. They're gorgeous. I've had one, and she was a sweet, shy, beautiful girl.

3. McGoo

THanks so much. What color egg do they lay?

4. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    White. All leghorns lay white eggs. In general, birds with white ears lay white eggs and birds with red ears lay brown eggs. There are a few exceptions, like EE's and one other that has currently slipped my mind, but it's almost always true.

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Yup, sound like red leghorns, I have 2 juvenile pairs right now and I love'em, the one roo has the most amazing looking tail(looks like a total dork in every photo I make tho) and have this gorgeous deep red(not like a RIR red tho, but pretty).

6. McGoo

Thanks so much for the info. I'm gonna have to go by the farm when someone is home. Maybe I can get a few eggs! [​IMG] I've been looking for a white egg layer... this might work out. [​IMG]

7. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Excellent, good luck! I wish I was in a position to hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by