1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looks like broody girls - wish us luck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Giddyup, May 6, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Looks like 2 of our aussies are sitting the nests. One on a nest of 6 (after yet another session of hide and seek), and the other may have up to 14.

The last attempt of one of these gals she lasted a week - then something spooked her and she abandoned it.

If they are successful - we'll somehow have to round up the crew to get them in safer quarters for ducklings!

[​IMG][​IMG] Here's hoping!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Good luck! I have a cayuga duck that has 'gone missing' after having a hidden nest for about a month! But her drakes (the cayuga and a rouen that has joined their 'group) are running the other drakes away from the area that she normally lays in, so I assume she is hiding out in the briars somewhere with a nest! Here's hoping! [​IMG] I hope she hatches, I've never had a mama duck with babies, that would be so cool! I'll have to figure out a pen for her as well, I think the snapping turtle is back on the pond [​IMG] The other ducks are acting weird. [​IMG]

3. Giddyup

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I hope things go well for you too! One of our younger greenheads has disappeared. I'm afraid she fell victim but am hoping she may have nested where I can't find her [​IMG] It always seems to be a game of hide and seek until I can sort out their locations!

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Giddyup

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I was not a happy camper yesterday. Dolly was by far a favorite bluehead. I went to feed yesterday morning and as usual had to plant my feet for fear of stepping on her as she gets right underfoot. Then I realized she wasn't there. So fed and checked the rest and went to check on her. Unfortunately she made her nest under the garden shed before we had it fenced off. I thought she'd be ok, but thought about grabbing the eggs and seeing if I could coax her into the coop. I would have had to cut the fencing to reach the eggs so I left her and she was very loyal to her nest.
    I pulled the board back and all I saw were feathers and broken empty eggs. I was just heartbroken.
    We put netting up over the coop that day and I was so frustrated because the greenie kicked out another couple of eggs as well. Then a chicken grabbed one from I don't know where. So greenie is down to 6 eggs (which she can at least cover!). They are all viable, I couldn't stand to see another broken egg when they are 12 days along.
    Dolly's mate misses her, so do we. [​IMG]

7. So sorry! [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG] So sorry that this happened. I know how you are feeling. My cayuga duck was sitting on a nest. I haven't seen her for 3 days. She had made her nest in the brush by the creek. I haven't been able to find her nest at all, and her drake is not acting like he usually did. Most times I wouldn't see him at all, now he is on the pond all the time. So I'm thinking that something got her as well. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by