Looks like buff orpington from bin marked 'mixed large breeds"?

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Today at the feed store there was a stacking chick bin labeled for various breeds. One bin was labeled "Mixed LARGE BREEDS- Pullets". There appeared to be 3-4 different types or color markings in that particular bin. First one was reddish & brown markings. The 2nd was mostly black with little bit of white markings which the clerk identified as Barred Rocks. The next two were yellow.. one was subtlely mottled buff or golden butter looking ones (which I hoped might be Buff Orpingtons... she said she didn't know. ) Then there were some plain pale yellow ones. I wondered if those could be White Orpingtons, (after looking up pics online when I got home).

Since she didn't know, another clerk pulled a breed book that described the looks of a buff orp chick, but the book said they had white bellies, which these didn't have, so I decided not to chance it.

Now after seeing pics online I want to go back and look at the buff ones again, this time noticing legs, eyes, etc. My recall is that both the yellow (golden buff and pale yellow ) colored chicks had yellow legs.

From research I'd really gotten pretty set on 3 breeds... and I've gotten 2 of the three so far.... the next issue is that I can't have many (fiance said 3 max... but Ijve pushed for 4) due to hen house space.

I have a 2 week old Black Australorp (hoping its a pullet, came from a straight run and I tried to sex it myself... yikes... but very sweet to the other birds & lets them tuck under her wing, legs etc.).. then 2 EE's (light slate legs with yellowish toes and dark eyes) pullets about 1 week old.

AND today on a whim I brought home a tiny Solid Gray Bantam pullet that has dark gray legs and a darker gray beak.... but now I'm thinking she's way too small and seems too cold when the brooder is comfortable for the others. She doesn't let my Aussie sleep well cause she's obviously too cold and looking for warmth under the legs or wings. So, I wonder if I should bring the bantam back and trade for the possible Buff Orp? Which I really, really want & hope it is... it sure looks like the pics online!. Any ideas what ELSE this buff golden chick could be from the large breeds? What would you do? I'd appreciate any suggestions... thanks!

Wow! thanks Ms Prissy that was super fast answer! I will look again tomorrow and I'm hoping the legs will be the pinkish white, not yellow. I mainly remember them being lighter colored legs, so I'll check with this in mind.

The book they had said 'white chests"... but in pictures online I don't see that. These chicks looked color wise very simular to the adult buff orp's.

I'll go now to look for chick pics of buff rocks to compare. anything else I should be looking for? thanks!

Well, I've seen the pictures of buff rocks and to me they are as pretty as the Buff Orp I've been wanting. Personality wise are they much different? I really want friendly, calm hens.

I have never had a buff rock. Buff Orps are the most friendly and gentle in my experience. They are also one of my most favorite of all breeds.

Just wanted to say that she might be a buff orpie even without the white chest--my BO from MM were a uniform dark gold color all over, which was different from the overall lemon yellow of my Delawares.

Heres a pic of my BO chicks

very new
HPIM1002.jpg

two buffs @ 3 weeks
bothbuffs3wks.jpg

just too cute
BB.jpg

This is my first attempt to post pics of my fiesty little buff pullet (as yet unidentified large breed) via photobucket...

PIC-0181.jpg

weight last week

1209965485.jpg

brooder in shed in background

1209965486.jpg

sprouting wing tips

At this point, I've had this chick for over 2 weeks so figuring the breed is just a curiousity. While I'd love an orp, I'll take whatever she is. Looking at her today, her wings are definately a creamy white, and not the lovely BUFF color I was hoping for. Ah well.

Her feet are pinkish white AND pale yellow combined. Her skin appears pink or white so far. And dark eyes as you can see.

She is the youngest, smallest and most skittish of my four chicks towards humans, but is bold amongst the chicks and holds her own.

I have what I'm now pretty sure is a Black Australorp ROO (about 5 weeks) rides my arm, 2 americanas (4 weeks) who are the calmest when i pick them up, and this little (nearly 3 weeks now) buff large breed (orp, rock or other).
This pic taken day 15 in brooder (so it's over a week old pic) plan to take some more tomorrow as they've changed so much! (day 17 for australorp since got 'him' 2 days prior to rest & was told he was 2 weeks old when purchased). I'm starting to lose track.. whew!
PIC-0171.jpg

I do appreciate all your responses and I LOVE the pics ! You are all so helpful & awesome here!

Back
Top Bottom