Looks like he's going to the soup pot as soon as hubby gets home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smalltowngal, Aug 9, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Well, I just had to go out and get an egg that our hen laid in the run and got attacked again. I tried catching and holding him and this time he started pecking me and was very hard to calm down. I feel a bit of a failure as a chicken raiser. My husband is out of town so I don't know how I'm going to get the eggs while he's gone. I hate going into the run knowing I'm going to have a bird try and scratch and peck me.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Take a broom along to keep him away from you. You are not a failed "chicken raiser." The rooster has failed the temperament test. Meanness begets meanness. Replace him with a gentler rooster.

3. smalltowngal

Apr 26, 2010
    Is it common for roosters personalities to change when they start molting? It seems like that's when he got mean. He was nice before then.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not usually. Molting or not, they should not turn on you or anyone else. Period.

Mean roosters, bye bye!

5. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Agreed with the Ewesheep, he isn't a good Roo. Take a broom or a rake because until you show him you are the head roo, he will continue to flog you.

6. koop

koop In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    I see very often that people are having trouble with their roosters at a certain age. I also see that some posters try to assert their dominance AFTER the rooster has turned on them.

My question is; would it work better to hold your rooster on its back while it is still young and hasn't turned on you yet? Or doesn't it make a difference?

7. smalltowngal

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:We got him at a year old and specifically got him since he was suppose to be a gentle rooster. I don't know what happened to him.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes roosters can change their behavior once they get settled in a new environment. This settling that can take anywhere from a week to a month or more. Time for soup though since there are good roosters out there and so there is no need to tolerate a meanie who doesn't respect humans as top roo.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've now had several hatches with several different breeds of roosters. Each raised virtually identically. One, Harry was so nasty he was rehomed at three months, two others just weren't very nice birds, and one was overbreeding my least dominant hen to the point of blood. She managed to get three lots away from the fool and over two 6 foot high fences, this is a mature large buff orp. The current two are a mature buff orp, who is gentle but not terribly friendly, and a young black copper marans, who is young and randy, but not aggressive.

I think some of them just end up nasty. I'm also of the mind that nasty birds shouldn't survive to breed. Who knows how much of the personality is genetic.

10. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Is there a chance that you were wearing some bright colored clothing or shoes? Sometimes roos are docile until a bright color sets them off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by