Looks like I am going to lose a cute 6 day old Silkie. Be sad with me.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spatulagirl, Mar 25, 2012.

1. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    The kids and I decided to try and hatch out some eggs for the first time. The first hatch was awful, the eggs were old and stuck in the mail and nothing developed or hatched. So we bought 2 dozen Silkie eggs and tried again. Only five developed into anything and then only two hatched out of those five. The other three rocked and rolled but never pipped. They just died in the egg.

As this was my first hatch I new it wasn't going to be perfect so we were happy with the two chicks. Yesterday though I noticed the white chick was falling over and then twisting around trying to get up and she couldn't get up. Her belly was swollen and then I noticed a hard scab where her navel was. So I searched here and saw she probably had Mushy Chick Disease. I posted on the emergency/illness forum and it looks like there isn't really anything I can do. I put antibiotic cream on her belly and gave her molasses water and separated her from the other chicks so she could rest and not get trampled on.

This morning she looks awful and is shaking when she stands. She can barely stand and she is just passing out left and right. I don't think there is any hope for her.

I just wanted to share this story with people who might understand. I have a hard time losing animals, especially when they are so young.

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    awwww.. I am so sad for you!! I can't imagine. I know it comes with the territory, but sure doesn't make it any easier. I hope she turns around for you.

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    So sorry for you, and your chickie. [​IMG]

Just some humble advice from someone who's been there with sick chicks, but if you don't think she's going to make it, it may be time to end her suffering.

4. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    We just did. Or DH did. I couldn't do it.

5. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm so sorry. It really hurts when you've tried so hard (and when only two hatched!).
    [​IMG]

6. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    just lost a cochin bantam today. terrible predator.... your situation happened to me (only slightly different). its so hard to lose a chick. esepecially a silkie... i mourn for you.

7. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    I am so sorry for your loss. That is really heartbreaking. I hope you have a better day!

8. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I'm so sorry for you both, but especially sorry for your husband, it's a hard job having to cull a chick. For what it's worth, you both did the best you could for her.

I know how disappointing it is to have to start over, and I hope that you have much success in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by