Looks like I might be hatching a lot of quail this year....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, May 26, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just listed some eggs on ebay, and as always, I checked for coturnix eggs to see how well they are selling. Out of 60+ auctions listed, only 2 or 3 had bids, and most of those were really low-priced. I don't expect a fortune for my eggs, but I refuse to sell them less than $3 for a dozen. I list mine at $3 a dozen starting bid, and if it goes up, that's great! [​IMG]

But it just doesn't seem like a good year for coturnix eggs, so looks like I might get to hatch them [​IMG] Oh great....18+ eggs a day, I think my bators will be screaming for help soon! [​IMG]

2. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

You are going to have thousands of quail running around! [​IMG]

3. lagpmgdsls

lagpmgdsls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    have you tried listing them on craigslist....for hatching and eating eggs? You might be able to get rid of some that way.

Make some egg salad, mini deviled eggs....etc.

Do you have a dog? My dog gets 2-3 quail eggs a day as a treat. The vet always comments on how beautiful and shiny her coat it. She eats them whole.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Shelley They Have Been Doing Fine Until This Week.... I Think It Might Be The Holiday Weekend Coming Up.... I Have A Batch On There Too And For The 1st Time In A Few Months I Havent Gotten Any Bids On Them.... All The Rest Had Bids In The 1st Hour Or 2 Of Listing.

Oh, And 18+ A Day--- Ha Ha You're Lucky You Only Getting A Few [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ugh! I have about 110 eggs that haven't sold, my turner only holds 120!! I hope these next ones sell, or I guess the chickens will be getting some treats! [​IMG]

6. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Shelley, Wish I had room for some of them, I'd come pick them up. I just bought one of those little giant incubators yesterday, but it's about full with the chukar and quail eggs I had. btw out of the 60 chicks I got from u, 57 are still going strong and both guineas are fine also.

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:What happened to the other 3??
    I've now got 120 coturnix eggs, plus a dozen button eggs. I guess I'll just have to set them, can't see throwing 'money' to the chickens [​IMG]

8. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:What happened to the other 3??
    I've now got 120 coturnix eggs, plus a dozen button eggs. I guess I'll just have to set them, can't see throwing 'money' to the chickens [​IMG]

Don't really know about the 3... lost 2 the first night and another the second night.. They are growing like crazy and today I'm lowering the heat a little. Hatch those buttons for me.. My wife liked them, so I'm looking for another bird cage for the house. As for the other eggs, I can't use them this time around! All those quail I got at Sano started laying in the last few days. I am getting 7+ eggs from the quail and 2-3 eggs from the chukars daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by