1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

looks like i'll be sitting around with a 22 on the weekends ........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kentucky jay, Jan 2, 2011.

1. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    i went out to feed my chickens , last night ......i saw to yellow eyes reflecting in my headlamp beam !!!!!!! not sure what it is , but i bet it wants my chickens !!!!!!!!! i got 5 ,10 round magazines for that critter !!!!!!!!!! i'll set a trapp or two for during the week !!!!

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    my live trap stays set 365 days a year....sometimes, it'll go for months without being tripped....but caught another big male oppossum last night .....he's in oppossum heaven now

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I purchased a Nite-Guard 3 or so years ago & my predator situation stopped. It's a solar powered red flashing light that the critters see as a predators eye reflection. They are about $30, so for the back of the barn, I have a junk VCR that the only thing that works on it is the red flashing light. If I see them in the daylight, they meet my .22 mag.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had a similar scenario last night when I locked up my coop. Looks like the coyotes are back in my neck of the woods. I don't worry about shooting them, though. I have a coop and run built like a tank with a perimeter of electric netting. I dare the coyotes to try to breach my set-up. I'll be listening from the nice, warm house to the howls of pain and outrage when they meet the fence. [​IMG]

Happy hunting, kentucky jay.

5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Me too!! I purchased one of these and I do believe it keeps the predators at bay. We accidently put it to the test. We forgot to shut the door to the run after the girls had settled in for the night. The next day I found a huge Opossum about 50' from the opened door huddled in an old tire. It had all night to enter my chicken's run but didn't. I'm gonna buy another and another and place them at different locations. [​IMG]

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    "Different species have different kinds of a tapetum, which is the reflective layer under the retinal pigment epithelium. In some species (cats and dogs) it is in cells with zinc-rich rods that are spaced (from memory) half a wavelength of light apart. Cats have a big tapetum since they are nocturnal, and dogs a small one. Other species (sheep, cattle and horses) have an extracellular tapetum composed of collagen laid in orthogonal arrays. This gives rise to different reflective hues. Any disease in the overlying sensory or nonsensory retina will have an effect on the reflectivity of the tapetum. Increased reflectivity is one of the standard criteria for retinal atrophy in domestic animals.

The tapetum is an astonishing and intriguing biological structures to look at, especially with an electron microscope."
    What kind of animal eye colors at night have you seen?
    Deer appear white
    Cats look green
    Foxes have been red
    Raccoons and possums have looked reddish green
    Bigfoot reputably red
    Chupacabras and werewolves are yellow.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] I've seen the yellow! Uh-oh, monsters in the woods! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by