Looks Like I'm Getting a Goose!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Pyxis, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A female roman tufted gosling, to be exact. I was ordering some chicks from Ideal, and I just gave in. I've been wanting geese for a while now and I decided to go ahead and try them out. I wanted a female, since I didn't want any bad tempered ganders around come mating season next year, since I like to keep all my poultry (chickens and ducks) together. The roosters protect the ducks, I get food they can all eat, and it's just easier. I didn't want to risk a hormonal gander killing any of my other birds, which I heard happens.

I picked roman tufted because they're comparatively small, and I've read that they have very sweet temperaments and are gentle. I hope that's true! She should be arriving the week of the 20th and I can't wait.

Anyway, I've raised ducks for years now so I understand messy, and my experience with jumbo pekins showed me just how fast little birds can grow, so I'm ready for that too. Is there anything I should do differently for her than I would ducklings, or is it pretty much the same? Any tips for keeping the mess to a minimum?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Geese really love to be with their own kind, I hope you'll consider 2 goslings instead of 1.

1 person likes this.
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You can get two girls. See if you can add one to your order. A lonely goose is so sad.

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I would suggest having 2 geese. Either a goose and gander or two geese.

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I have no problem adding another goose - in fact, I've been thinking I should since last night. Do you think I'll have aggression problems next spring if I add a gander? I'd love to be able to have goslings but if there's a chance a gander will harm my other birds I think I'd better just get another goose.

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If you don't want to chance a gander, you can just get another girl and purchase fertile eggs. I have found that my ganders don't care much about the chickens or ducks until its their 2nd breeding season, and said chickens or ducks must be near the goose nest for them to care much about it.
    I have lost a couple chickens that got caught in the goose house, but I have a large flock, and the chicken was really outnumbered.

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Okay, I think I'll just order another one straight run and let fate decide, since I'm undecided :) Does anyone have any tips for keeping the mess in the brooder down? I expect they're at least as bad as ducks.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Give them the biggest brooder you can right off that cuts down on cleaning a little, and when giving water place it inside somekind of tray to catch excess water. lots of soft shavings and your set to go, oh and those butter bowl with lids where you can cut a hole just large enough for the gosling to put it's head into for cleaning and drinking are nice, then all you have to do is cut the hole larger as they grow so they can continue to be able to wash their heads. I bought a pack of 3 plastic bowls at the grocery store for around 2.50 then just cut the hole in the lid they worked great till they can be moved out side.

Don't you dare forget pics.

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Also- you can take the feed and water away at night at about 2-3 weeks. It will save lots of brooder cleaning. They will get big faster than you'd think!

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks for the tips guys! Although I'm getting nervous - I keep reading these posts this time of year where people are talking about their aggressive ganders and how they chase people, etc. Maybe I'll change my order to two females? It's not that I'm afraid of getting chased by a gander (my aunt has some really horrible ones that are aggressive to people all year round so I'm used to that) - I don't want my other birds injured.

I won't forget pics! Do you maybe have a picture of the water thing? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about, sorry :oops:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by