looks like im getting the mother of all chicken runs!

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
So I answered an advertisement today about a 6foot high 23x38foot chain mail and steel post "dog run" with a 6x6x6 coop inside of it which a gentleman had been using at some stage in the last couple of years to keep ducks which have since moved on..dunno more about the ducks fate than that at this stage.

He wanted $300 for it all which I think is pretty darn reasonable given how much it would cost to make this same run...i mean its around 800 square feet!!!!!. Im picking it up this weekend. SO i have some questions:

1. What do i do to sterilize the coop? ( I would assume there will be some repair work necessary on it but we will see)

2. The run has no roof on it...it has barbed wire around the top of the 6foot fence. He said this kept all raccoons/fox/skunk etc out of the run. I asked about hawk and he said it had never been a problem..what do you all think?

3. Is this a good deal?

thanks,
aran

by the way my order of new chicks is on its way as we speak from Ideal...am getting silver spangled hamburgs, cream brabanters. white cochins, and buff orpingtons, plus whatever extra males they put in the box:rolleyes:

Aran, I would think that spraying the whole thing with a water and bleach mixture would kill about anything there. You might try scrubbing it down with soap and water first to get any grime off. By the way, I was thinking about your order from Ideal and hope all goes well. Let us know as soon as they arrive. We're all pulling for you!!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif

thanks BB...i will post as soon as they arrive! By the way I ordered a brand new digital camera/camcorder so I will have pics of the whole shooting match in the next week or so!

cheers,
aran

Very good deal! We spent way more than that to build ours & it will barely be big enough for 10 girls! Great find. How are you going to move it?!
hu.gif

yes...marvellous question that! Well Im going to hope that a buddy of mine will let me borrow his truck and pull a trailer behind it.

Ill ask him today...im sure he will say its ok:rolleyes:

so i checked out the run and coop today. The fence is well over 6feet tall and has calvanised plastic covered heavy duty steel mesh over galvanised steel pipes. The guy had salvaged this from a correctional facility!!!!!

It measures 38x23 feet and around 6.5-7feet tall with 2 foot extensions above that with barbed wire in 3 strands attached.

The coop is a really cute ( although in need of paint and some minor repairs) but heavy 10x5foot A frame unit. Has minimal roosting or nesting areas which I will have to build but thats cool Im loving this whole home handy man gig anyway!

There are two doors into the run...one is being used now the other is sitting in his garage. He also has the same length of picket fence (4foot tall and in good condition although needs paint) which he is throwing in with the deal and also a big bucket full of steel connectors and bits and bobs for the run.

He is really nice and said he would help me take it down and pack it up to move it. Should be a good day or two's work but will be well worth it!

You know what this means?!?!??!---> MORE CHICKENS!

Quote:
LOL, don't let your neighbors know about that or you'll be the "crazy chicken lady" for sure!
lol.png

Sounds like it should be an ideal Fort Knox once you get it situated -congrats on a great find!

Back
Top Bottom