1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looks Like It's Snowing! Too Much Hair?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    PLEASE tell me that everyone's horses are shedding like crazy right now? Max is the only horse in the pasture that is getting sleeker. There's just hair EVERYWHERE. He's the only palomino so maybe that's the reason I see only his hair?

I've been using human hair-brushes to scratch deep down (which he LOVES) and then finish off with a dog brush that's a de-shedder. It pulls the hair out that's not attached and helps air get down to the skin.

Should I stop with the heavy duty brushing? Am I causing some serious harm? I mean, it's 73* outside right now, but I want to know if I am damaging his skin in any way. He seems to absolutely love it, to the point that he lets everything "hang out."

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I can't answer the question as to whether you damaging anything but I would assume if it was hurting him he would let you know. My pony is shedding like a madman. I brush and brush him and the hair is still coming out so yes it's about that time for them to defuzz!!

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Don't know about horses, but I brush enough out of my Lab these days to knit a new dog daily! [​IMG]

4. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    My horses are both shedding now...there is a white spot in the pasture where my paint horse rolls! It is coming out in clumps on his tummy!

5. genuck

genuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    hyndman
    Get yourself a shedding blade and a block to finish him off. It will be snowing for a bit otherwise!

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    All of mine are shedding, well except my Gelding and my Stallion (they were blanketed all winter and did not grow) my mares a re shedding faster than it is growing in, all of them have a couple of bald spots [​IMG]

7. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    My horses are shedding like mad, lol. I rode one of them bareback today and when i got off i was covered in white horse hair![​IMG]

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My horse has been shedding for a while now.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I feel better mow. None of the other horses have been shedding like Max. I was afraid he was gonna be bald before his new hair came in. I just got done riding him and there is hair everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by