Looks Like My hen is yawning?:(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Janet E, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Janet E

Janet E New Egg

Apr 22, 2014
    Spokane
    I'm new to chicken keeping, and have 4 beautiful hens. Tonight one of my girls looked like she was yawning ever minute or so, other wise she seems fine. right now she's on the high roost with the others.
    I've never seen this before and I'm worried about her. I would really appreciate any good sound advice... thank you! Janet

2. debster1556

debster1556 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    I'm relatively new to chicken keeping too and a couple of hens and my rooster would do that every so often and it scared me too! In my case, they were only adjusting their crop. Just feel their crop in the morning and make sure it's emptying. As long as they are acting fine in every other way, I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep an eye on them! :)

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've always seen it as a left over of some behavior that got lost in evolution. They see me and do the yawn like a baby bird in a nest does when the mom comes with the bugs. They could be adjusting their crops, but I like to think of it as they see me as their mom. Or the food lady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by