Looks like premature grey, why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msbien, Nov 23, 2008.

1. msbien

msbien Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Hi,

My seabright Lucky has a whiteish something on her head. It is only on her head, and is also starting to appear on another girl. Can you tell me what it is, and what I can do about it?

Thank you!

Stacie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you pick it off?
    It looks like the back for my brahmas head. The can not preen themselves back there so it is the coating of the feather. I hope that make sense to you.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Looks like my girls after giving them yogurt. [​IMG]

It dries on the back of their heads where they can't preen it out.

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    That's a sebright???? I thought they looked different... Pretty bird, whether or not she is a sebie... [​IMG]

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    hey same Q my rir roo is going white on the tail feathers lol he is only 1 year old so he is not that old. [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:My BO roo did the same thing, then started moulting. Moult is almost finished, and no more white feathers! [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, is it a Sebright mix? Cute bird... it's just other genes coming out in the coloring would be my guess..... my black Cochin and my Black Araucanas started out all black, but as they have gotten older, other colors from their genepool are showing through more and more [​IMG]

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like the sheaths that encapsulate the feathers as they grow out. They will dissolve over time.

9. msbien

msbien Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    Thank you, whatever it is, it sounds like it's benign. I was worried that maybe she had some kind of parasite or something. I hope she's not starting a molt, it's going to be very cold here really soon in Minnesota.

I have a lot to learn, thanks for your help!

Stacie

PS Yep, she's adorable, a very sweet bird too.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  10. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

She could be in the middle of a molt. My girls never lost all of their feathers at once, as some were falling out, there were more right there coming in. They look like pin feathers to me. There are nice new feathers inside. The outside will fall off and left behind is the new feather! She will be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by