looks like someone shoved a marble in her eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakNat, Oct 26, 2008.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I'm gonna try to show a picture of this. It literally looks like someone pulled out her lower eye lid and shoved a marble in there. It started a couple of weeks ago with a tiny bit a of swelling. Like she got a seed or grass in her eye. I could never find anything. Then over the course of 10 days it blew up. OK the bird has NO signs of anything wrong. She eats & drinks great. Good weight. Shes about at laying age. Clean butt. Solid brown white capped poop. Eyes and nose are clean. No sneezing, coughing, noisy breathing. VERY healthy. I'm trying the terramycin ointment and in her water. I give her all kinds of other food on top of the regular diet, yogart, garlic, lettuce, boiled eggs. I hold warm compresses on it 3x a day. She makes the sweetist little sounds when I do that. Oh yeah, shes in a dog cage in the house in a dim room. I take her out 3x a day for treatment and cage cleaning and walk her around a bit. I know she is bored. She talks to me when I go in the room. The eye thing is hard as a rock. There is absolutely no discharge, bubbles, smelly goop, none of that stuff... I have no idea???? It has to be an abscess??
    That would be my only guess at this point. I want to cut it open?? [​IMG]:barnie Anyone ever seen this or any other suggestions?? My favorate one of course. She in an amercauna cochin cross. She is out of chicks I raised up last year. I call her Sable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Definitely post a pic if you can.

3. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    chickens have another eyelid, one blinks up and one blinks down. so you use shavings? anything so tiny could be in there. you are doing everything right. keep the ointment in her eye, flush it with saline solution if you can. good luck:D

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    My picture is jpg. it won't let me post it.?.. I can't figure it out. I use straw. Thats what I think happened, she got something tiny in there and it got infected. This morning it almost looks like there might be a head or something forming. I wish this thing would hurry up and blow. There is no vet around here either. Not for chicks anyway.... Her appetite is still great. I feel like I'm dosing her with too much meds with no results. I feel so bad for her.

5. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    You could try warm compresses on her eye. That will bring it to a head...Gloria

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    abcess or tumor would be my guess

try imageshack for hosting: http://imageshack.us/

either
    way, you'll need to get a vet involved or cut your losses and cull the bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by