looks like something bit the rear end out of one of my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dennis04087, Aug 12, 2010.

1. dennis04087

dennis04087 Hatching

Aug 12, 2010
    I was out late afternoon yesterday feeding the girls some sunflower seeds and this one came running like nothing was wrong and then I saw it, I thought omg something got her and she got away and then 2 seconds later I smelt it, it was like something died, so apparently she had a bad infection or something rotten inside her, I check on my chickens 5 to 6 times during the day. Anyone have an idea what caused this, she died later that night

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Probably your other chickens. If she had an injury they would peck at it and eventually eat her. I had a hen that was from Tyson. Their chickens just keep growing till they can't stand anymore. Well this one got like that and I didn't realize she was just too heavy to walk and the day we decided to send her to freezer camp we went out to do the deed and the other chickens had been pecking at her just under a wing that we hadn't noticed and she had a hole the size of a baseball. They where eating her alive. Years ago we had some of those miniature chickens and they would go around and peck at the standard sized chickens vents till they where sore and by the time I had discovered what was going on they had eaten the entire vent area. I was chicken illiterate at the time. I had decided to hangout and watch for a while . Thats when I discovered what was going on. Then I checked every hen in there and there where several that had holes in them that wheren't noticable by just watching them. I rehomed every one of them and the few hens with the worst injuries we culled. I just couldn't handle canibals.

If she was out free ranging something could have goten a hold of her. If you feel it can be healed take her out of the flock and by herself where files and bugs can't get to her and do what you can to clean the wound and put neosporin without the pain meds in it. Keep her quiet and clean. I'm sure somebody with better ideas will come along soon. If they hadn't already.

I had to tend to an injury here while I was writing this. Brown recluse bites.

3. dennis04087

dennis04087 Hatching

Aug 12, 2010
    I had 3 eggs that day with no shells and i think that might have been her problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by