Looks like this forum is turning into a chicken and horse forum =)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarbK, Oct 9, 2007.

1. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Well since it looks like everyone is getting bitten by the horse bug I thought I would show everyone my new family member. She turned one in the spring and should mature at around 14h's. She is a Spanish Mustang. Her ancestors were used to create the South American breeds like the Paso and the North American breeds like the Quarter Horse. She is a dun with grulla and cream in her background so she could throw pretty much any color. I also think she may be gaited.
    (Don't pay attention to the dates on the pixs. I am a typical blonde and couldn't figure out how to set the date. They were taken Sat.)
    She is a little thin from a multiple day trip cross country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Man, with some groceries she'll be a cute little zebra (bay) dun! Congrats on your new addition.

Not to sound like a total horse snob...but why do people breed mustangs? (seriously - not being smart)

What are your plans with her?

3. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    What a pretty baby! I have two mustangs I adopted from the BLM - sweetest horses I've ever had. Given the chance, I think they would climb right up in my lap. My mare has the same face as your girl; the gelding looks very QH-y, and is quite the clown. I've had them since they were 3 year olds and they are now 13. I've never ridden the mare since she had a major leg injury when young. I haven't ridden the gelding in a few years, but definitely a great trail horse. What are your plans for yours? Enjoy her!
    Liz

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Pretty girl, I love the coloring. Congrats on your new horse and again I am extremely jealous!! [​IMG]

5. BarbK

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Unlike other "breeds" of mustange there are few of this genetically different horse left. I posted a little bit about the Livestock breeds conservancy list below. The spanish mustang has an estimated global population of about 5,000. There are vets and breeders working on keeping them from disappearing. The spanish mustang has a specific DNA type.
    I am not sure I will breed her or not. She has the conformation for it. I just need to see if she has the temperment and the brains for it and if I can find a good stallion.

Parameters of Livestock Breeds on the ALBC Conservation Priority List (2007)
    Livestock breeds on the ALBC Conservation Priority List generally conform to certain genetic and numerical parameters:
    1. The breed is from one of the seven traditional U.S. livestock species: asses, cattle, goats, horses, pigs, rabbits, and sheep. Rabbit parameters are defined separately.
    2. The breed census satisfies numerical guidelines:
    • Critical: Fewer than 200 annual registrations in the United States and estimated global population less than 2,000.
    • Threatened: Fewer than 1,000 annual registrations in the United States and estimated global population less than 5,000.
    • Watch: Fewer than 2,500 annual registrations in the United States and estimated global population less than 10,000. Also included are breeds that present genetic or numerical concerns or have a limited geographic distribution.
    • Recovering: Breeds that were once listed in another category and have exceeded Watch category numbers but are still in need of monitoring.
    • Study: Breeds that are of genetic interest but either lack definition or lack genetic or historical documentation.
    3. The breed is a true genetic breed (when mated together, it reproduces the breed type).
    4. The breed has an established and continuously breeding population in the United States since 1925. Or, if imported or developed since 1925,
    • The foundation stock is no longer available.
    • Must be below global guidelines for inclusion (see #2).
    • Must have at least three breeding lines in the United States.
    • Must have at least twenty breeding females in the United States.
    • Must have at least five breeders in different locations in the United States.
    • Must have an association of breeders in the United States.
    • Must be contributing to the breed’s survival internationally. In general this means that:
    • the United States population is reciprocal to other international populations. Registry must be sanctioned by the mother organization so as not to be a dead-end for the breed, and breeding stock must be licensed according to the rules of mother organization;
    • or is an important and numerous population when compared to that in other countries;
    • or the non-United States populations of the breed are at risk geographically or politically.

6. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    She looks sooo much like the horse I had when I was a kid. But your girl has a sweeter face.

7. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    So pretty!!! Love the coloring

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Interesting stuff. I had to Google Spanish Mustangs, of course, and do a little reading. Looks like they are more of a true mustang, and have virtually no wild breeding bands (some feral). Very much unlike the western Muttstangs the BLM tries to hard to cull every year. Thanks for the info.

You never answered the pressing question - what are your plans? Trail? Endurance? [​IMG] She even has the angles for lower level jumping, tee hee.

9. BarbK

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Ooopps I thought I did. I am thinking about competitive trail riding and of course riding just for fun. The last time I tried jumping I ended up in front of the saddle wrapped around the nec:rolleyes holding of for my life. [​IMG]

10. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Congratulations on your horse! I love the coloring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by