Looks like white mold on the comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliej1, May 27, 2010.

1. juliej1

juliej1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    I have an Americana that for several weeks has had a white growth on her comb. It looks kind of fury, like a white mold? None of my other 12 chickens have it, and she seems to be acting healthy. I get eggs from her almost every day and she acts normal. I can't seem to find any information on this, any ideas? I'm wondering if it's something fungal? I live in Phoenix, AZ, so it's very dry here. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I have noticed this same thing on the comb of my Buff Brahma hen. Does anyone have any idea what it is? I don't see it on any of my other chickens.

3. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I'm resurecting this thread because I spotted the same thing on my EE the other day and can't seem to find any info on what this might be, if it's harmful and how or if it should be treated. [​IMG]

4. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    Sounds like "Favus", a fungal infection. An over the counter anti-fungal cream, such as for athelete's foot or vaginal yeast infection (Clotrimazol) can be used. The fungus can spread to you, so use gloves. My previous rooster had it, so I would go out at night, when everyone was sleeping, and apply the cream to his comb and wattles as best I could, even the areas that weren't white, as a preventative. Wasn't easy. I can't say I cured it, but it never seemed to spread or to be a problem.

Like all web-based health resources, if you look hard enough, you'll convince yourself that this is Dooms Day for your flock. I suppose if living/housing conditions are bad enough, it could spread and prove fatal (infect skin and lungs). My flock is practically free range (huge electric net fenced yard), so I wasn't overly concerned. I suppose if Elvis had been feeling poorly, in addition to the white dusting on his comb and wattles, I would have been more actively worried.

Good luck!

5. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. No one else seems to have it and Elizabeth is acting fine; well, normal for her. My coop & run aren't too big, but I do keep them clean, or at least as clean as I can- chickens are messy!

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    My mom's rooster and a couple of hens had this. We treated with an OTC yeast medication and it went away. We treated morning and evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by