Looks/sounds weaker, zipped x 24 hrs. Should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have one that has zipped, and was chirping and full of energy last night. Today, still in the same position, but not chirping. I see breathing. Should I help? Will it make it after this long? Today is day 21. I have 2 out, and 8 with nothing yet.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds like he is drying out possibly. Does the membrane look dry? Try putting a wet (not dripping) paper towel around it a bit. Mine I ended up helping out...he took THREE 1/2 extra days to get out of there. I just had to help him after living that long afterward. It's up to you if you would want to help it or not. Some don't and some do. If you do just follow the directions on the hatching thread (sticky at the top of the hatching page) Do a little at a time and if you see blood, stop and put the wet paper towel on it and try again later. Good luck!

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    What is your humidity?
    Have you opened the bator?
    Sounds like your humidity may have dropped/be too low. That could cause the chicks to become stuck to the shell OR maybe it's just taking a break. How far around the shell has it zipped?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh what is the humidity in the bator and have you opened it up at all while he was hatching?

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    My hatch started Pipping at 730pm last night,...Today at 7am they finally had a tiny tiny zip...and now at 3pm, I just got my first chick....very healthy.

After the first pip you hear, which is when they break through the membrance, they can take as long as 24hrs to Zip.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Humidity is 68%. Zipped 1/2 way around. No, I have not opened it. I guess I will just wait. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Kathy, I have 30 eggs in, started pipping and rocking last night at 8pm...at 220pm today, I had my first chick and THATS IT!!!! So far have 4 others zipping but thats been the only chick, hear pipping still

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by