Looky what I got! Fabulous foam for shipping eggs!-Angie! Need more!!!

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
One of our BYC folks set about to be industrious and made foam a while back. I bought a bunch and my shipping was made super-easy! I didn't know how I could live with out it thereafter!
wee.gif

This shipping foam was great- but she had to take some time to redesign, so I was tragically left to ship without for some time. I just got a batch of the new stuff from Angie and I'm tickled pink!!

Look at this!!

The foam is in two thick chunks per small priority box, each chunk holds 6 eggs.

14596_img_20101111_093911.jpg

14596_img_20101111_094043.jpg

Each foam piece is sufficiently thick to allow cushioning on both the outside edge facing the box, as well as internally, where the eggs face each other.

14596_img_20101111_094059.jpg

The eggs stand upright in shipping, so the air cell is at the top- this keeps it from forcing the membrane away from the side of the shell (air rises) as the egg will not bounce along on its side in shipping, which is often a problem. If eggs remain big-end-up, much damage from jarring can be avoided.

The foam pieces are removed from the holes, cut to form 2 plugs to protect the eggs on either side, reinserted into the holes, and the whole thing goes into the box.

14596_img_20101111_094125.jpg

And, voila! Ready to ship!!

14596_img_20101111_093836.jpg

I just want to thank fowlrus for making this possible! Affordable shipping foam makes me happy!!

celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Somebody should test that out. Ship eggs from the same batch, one in foam and the other packed normally.. And see what the hatch rates are like.

On a side note.. I wonder if anybody has been scared by a box that says "Live embryos", or if a postal person has ever intentionally exposed them to harsh elements trying to kill them thinking they are human.. Because they have a problem with those who "play God".. I think I've been watching too much Law & Order

lau.gif

I have shipped lots of eggs and I don't know that the hatch rate is any better with the foam, but folks get exceptional hatch rates with my eggs usually.

I write, "Live Embryos" because EGGS seems to make some folks drop-kick the box, where this seems to catch them off-guard enough they never get squashed!!

I'm up for sending a couple of boxes of test eggs if anyone wants my mutt eggs from the pen with my layers. They're the eggs for eating and we have 15 different breeds in with an EE roo. You pay the shipping and reimburse me for the foam (which can be used multiple times) and we can experiment!!

Quote:

Quote:

I orderd eggs and the shipper wrote "live embryos" on the box and the post office called me to see if I wanted them to hold for pick up or ride all day in the carriers truck, I had them hold them of course but it seems to make a difference and they knew it was eggs, when I got they asked what kind of eggs they were. Next time I order eggs I will instruct the shipper to put my phone # on the box with a big "Please hold for pick up, call 123-456-7890". It can't hurt to try, right??

Absolutely. I always have buyers give me a phone number and the top of the box is marked in RED saying "Hold at PO CALL xxx-xxx-xxxx upon arrival."

Makes a huge difference not to be bumping around all day.

Quote:

I orderd eggs and the shipper wrote "live embryos" on the box and the post office called me to see if I wanted them to hold for pick up or ride all day in the carriers truck, I had them hold them of course but it seems to make a difference and they knew it was eggs, when I got they asked what kind of eggs they were. Next time I order eggs I will instruct the shipper to put my phone # on the box with a big "Please hold for pick up, call 123-456-7890". It can't hurt to try, right??

She decided to make it for her own needs and for other sellers, so she ordered it and the tools to cut it- it was some investment and time, otherwise I'd do my own! I'm willing to pay her for it, because it takes about 2 minutes to pack a dozen eggs and they only weigh 1# 14 oz!! I had to have the foamers sent from TX, but oh, well.

Super cheap shipping, now- even helps the environment, as it doesn't require as much fuel shipping the things...at least that's part of my excuse for buying them...it costs me more to ship the eggs, but I soooooo don't care...I don't have to shred paper or wrap each egg...so nice.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom