Looky what we found this monring! *cute warning*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Moonwalker, May 24, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    We were saddling and working around the barn and one of the girls happened to look in the pasture across the road where we keep the horses we are not using that day.
    [​IMG]
    It's a filly! Born last nite!
    The mare had a 6 month foal at side when we got her OVER a year ago. A few months later, I thoght she was about to drop a foal cuz she was so huge and had milk. We brought her out of the big pasture and kept her in the front for a few weeks and the belly shrank, so did the udder. OK, false pregnancy? We have been riding her on the trails. Then about 6 weeks ago, one of the girls said she looked pregnant and they put her out in the front paddock again. After a couple weeks, the belly and udder went down again. So we chucked her out in the "Spares" pasture across the road. That was about 2 weeks ago.
    SURPRISE!!
    I told my boss we should name the filly "I told you so"
    By the way, Mom and baby are for sale. Bossman doesn't want to have an idle mouth to feed for 4-5 months (we can't let foals go with mom on the trails, cuz we have to cross the road), so if anyone wants a nice trail mare and filly.....cheap!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] TOOO CUTE!!!!!!!! I love the name " I told you so"

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    LOL "I told you so" Sure is a cute filly.

MY aunt's mare had a foal after it was sold because they bred her several times resulting in no pregnancy. Well, the people she bought it from put it with a stallion a day before she got it. About 9 months later I visited and said your mare looks pregnant to me. She goes it can't be. She's a sterile mare couldn't concieve. Guess what! She walked out on day and there's a foal in the pasture!

My mare looks prego now:( I did not have her bred last year and was planning to sale her this month now I have to wait. And if a foal does hit the ground that boarding stable is getting a call from me where I had her last year. I had a vet look at her and he said she has milk because she is around her 2 year old! The vet acted like I was stupid when I have now raised 6 foals. The two year-old is weaned and has been for over a year. That's not why she has milk. They weren't even in the same pen until recently so I know he was not still nursing on her as the vet claimed. I'm gonna be so mad too because we'll have no clue who the sire was so I will not only have to keep my mare longer I will have a grade foal to have to find a home for. And I know what the boarding stable will say. She will say you should be happy you got a free foal.

Sorry about my rant. You have a pretty surprise.

4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    What a precious baby! Congratulations!!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH he's beautiful but he sure does look hungry! lol Are they always that skinny looking when their born?

6. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Quote:Lol!
    yeah, they usually look a bit ribby for the first couple of days. I'll post a pic again in a few days and you'll see the difference.

7. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    She is soooo beautiful. Wish I could have them, but we have three show horses (paso finos) that we are trying to sell now. Very Cheap for their breeding ! Why dont you name her ToldYa!

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How exciting!!! Oh I wish you lived closer. My sister has been looking for another mare that she can breed. This would be perfect! She'd get her mare and her filly. [​IMG] Oh well. That sure is a pretty little filly! [​IMG]

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    foals are always cute surprises.

10. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Very pretty filly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by