Loons

We have loons on our lake, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to raise them. I think they're protected.

We have loons at our house in cannada. Loons are protected and they also would need to be fed half digested fish all thought the day and would require a ton of care.

Henry

Loon populations are stable in New York. The biggest threat to them currently in NY is lead sinkers and discarded fishing line, and botulism from eating Brown Goby's. They don't like much boating activity, so you won't see them on the Hudson, Saratoga lake or Southern Lake George unless they are migrating or juvenile birds. They stick to more secluded lakes in the adirondacks and northern regions of New York. Northern Lake George, Schroon and quieter lakes will often have loons. There are currently no breeding programs to raise and release loons because of both the threat of introducing disease into the wild flock and having them become acclimated to people. It is a federal and state offense to possess a loon unless you are a NY licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Hcammack is correct about the difficulty of feeding. If you don't have loons near you, there is probably a good reason, i.e. unsuitable habitat, nesting areas, water clarity, lake size, and lake activity.

Back
Top Bottom