1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loophole Allows Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MayberrySaint, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Yeah, I agree. He's probably one of those people with 112 dogs that he lets roam at large.

I find it hard to believe that their 6 chickens can be either smelly or obnoxious!

LOL, personally I LOVE chickens, both mine and my neighbor's. I don't find them obnoxious at all.. not even their rooster. It lends a 'country' feel to the air. Poor him.. so so embarassing to have to tell people that you have bug eating machines living next door...

-Meghan

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    This neighbor reminds me of one of ours that used to live next door. She told my dh that my goats smelled like the country and made too much noise. First off we live in the country and second I have never heard of a 'loud' goat. I love my chickens. My new neighbors have chickens that they let free range where ever they want to go. They are all the time in my old goat pen. I haven't mowed in there yet this summer so the weeds are as tall as me. You can see little chickies running in and out all them time. They are getting a free lunch! I love the country. I love the smells and the sounds!

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Yep sounds like a dufus to me also. Did you here the one on the news this morning about the lawsuit over the people whose kids were to noisy in the pool. All the neighbors complained. How idiotic. Now you can't even have noisy kids in a pool. Of course they lost and the kids can still swim in the pool and they will try to keep them quieter.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! [​IMG]

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    If it were us I would tell my kids to go get out in that pool and scream until they were hoarse. I'd also invite over their entire class! It would be one loud summer! [​IMG]

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    This is in my neighborhood! We've been waiting to hear the conclusion, because it will effect us as well! There is an attorney that is in the process of rewriting the ordinance. Every time there has been a council meeting to "fix" the loophole it gets canceled at the last minute, because certain unwanted people have shown up to the meeting (mainly chicken supporters). According to the council members there are no chicken supporters in the city! This is a very historic neighborhood and very uppity! Most people do not agree with him though. I guess he does have a friend on the city council that is supporting his stance. I'm curious to see how far this goes based on one person's complaint. They don't do a very good job of enforcing the dangerous dogs ordinance around here!
    Amy J.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Smelly and obnoxious...jeeze, that's my son you're talking about!!!
    It amazes me that in a rural area, that you can't have supposed Farm animals...As for uppity, there's a town next to mine that has a rule that you can only paint your house certain colours because it's an "historic" zone...
    The first rabid chicken or one that chases the mailman...Amy...LOL
    I admit that even 2 birds in the summer could gag a maggot IF you don't keep up with the cleaning.

7. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    He also can't BBQ without "embarassment" puhleez.

I live in a REALLY "uppity" town, but chickens are legal, rather, there aren't any specific rules addressing them. But every week there are chicken related complaints in the police blotter. Why is it that people have such a prejudice against chickens? Usually people complain about their very existance, not that they actually did somthing bad.

However, in researching my city code before I got chickens, I found out that I have been accidentally breaking the law in another area. I can't remember the exact wording but it contained the words "utterance of profanity" Ooops just broke the law again when I read that article.

8. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    Good Grief! Why is there such a bias against chickens??? I can think of numerous dogs ( and cats!) who are far more annoying than chickens- and I'm a dog and cat lover!

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I love my neighbors!! I wish everyone had nieghbors as understanding. I repeat "my chickens will never bite a neighbors kid, poop on a neighbors lawn, bark all night, spray a neighbors front door with urine, rip open a trash bag and spread trash up and down the street, or yowl all night under a neighbor's window." My good neighbors cats and dogs have done all of those thingsa. My chickens stay in the back yard and don't bother anyone.

Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by