Loose Air Cell Question

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I have incubated a lot of eggs, normally I lay my eggs flat like a hen does, but lately with shipped eggs, I have been getting some that are Loose Air Cells. I have read that if you put them in an egg carton big end up and leave them there for 5 days without moving them, the air cells should settle.

My question is if they do settle do I move the eggs down towards the rest that are laying flat? Or leave them in the egg carton? If I leave them in the egg carton how do you turn them? Do you just shift them back and forth or flip them totally around so the smaller end it up at one turning time and then the big end up at the second turning time etc, etc etc???

Ok, I am a beginner... but I read alot. So from what I have read...
I was concerned when they arrived because PO handled them rough so I changed my usual incubating strategy. The air cells looked pretty bad so I incubated them for three days before switching on the turner. I also left them up right (big end up) during lock down and resisted any temptation to candle them other than days 7, 14 and 18. I think it helps if they not handled much.

That is a quote from Fogelly. I am planning to use this trick next time I have loose air cells.​

Ok, got it, I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't touch them for the first 5 days and lockdown is on day 16th instead of 18th. so you only candle them 3 times interesting.. Thank you for the information, I am going to try this..

I have never had any luck with eggs with loose air cells and they just simply never hatch or infact even develop, I have heard people have hatched from such eggs, although I have never done the 5 day large end up to settle them as I would be to worried that they'll be too old to hatch from but I guess it all depends on how old the eggs are to begin with which is hard to know if the eggs are shipped, not sure about the not turning for 3 days when incubation begins? I was under the impression that the first three days are the most critical for turning or at least the first week with regards to the embryo not sticking to the shell it then becomes less critical as time goes on? still good luck with your hatch and let us know how you get on
thumbsup.gif

I had one hatch with an aircell that was damaged. It made a saddle shape down the length of the egg. I'll tell you in a few months if the chicks grows into a healthy adult.

The other eggs with detached aircells all got scrambled. I must have a really rough postie. He always looks like he's in a bad mood too lol

I had one hatch with an air cell that was damaged. It made a saddle shape down the length of the egg. I'll tell you in a few months if the chicks grows into a healthy adult.

The other eggs with detached air cells all got scrambled. I must have a really rough postie. He always looks like he's in a bad mood too lol
I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would say,if you get to know your po man then you'll get better treatment,my post man calls me when my eggs arrive at the PO so I can pick them up and they don't have to ride around with him all day or if you ask the person your getting them from to put your name and phone number on the box the PO should call you in the early AM to come get them.

I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would say,if you get to know your po man then you'll get better treatment,my post man calls me when my eggs arrive at the PO so I can pick them up and they don't have to ride around with him all day or if you ask the person your getting them from to put your name and phone number on the box the PO should call you in the early AM to come get them.
Great Idea! I just bid on some on ebay, I'll have the seller do that! Thank You!!

Sometimes that works sometimes, it does not, all depends on your post office. I find that if you package well, you have better results. When I say well, I mean laying down, NOT in an egg carton upright.

Back
Top Bottom