loose/broken air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poultrykeeper08, May 12, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I just got 4 goose eggs in the mail and 2 if not 4 of the eggs have broken/loose air cells will they settle ? Will the egs still hatch ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Justin

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I'm sorry, but I think eggs with loose air cells won't work. [​IMG]

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Loose air cells (the air cell has enlarged but stays in one spot, flops back and forth) can hatch. I have done so in the past by keeping them upright and not turning for the first few days. The older the chick gets, the less important the loose cell becomes. If the air cell is ruptured (air bubbles rolling all around the egg) then it is very unlikely that they will hatch. It is always worth a try though.

Richard

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Interesting MaransGuy, your the first person I have hear of thats hatched them. I keep on learning more and more on this site. [​IMG]

5. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Well, the distinction that Richard is making is a good one, that is, loose vs. broken. Broken ones seldom can hatch, but loose ones can...

6. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Thank for the info i am keeping my fingers crossed that i can atleast get 2 to hatch [​IMG]

7. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I've hatched out some with loose air sacs. Infact most of my goose eggs have had floaty air cells upon arrival and I have had 4 hatch so far, and several more at least develop. I have 3 in the bator now that are developing and one in the bator at school developing.. It irritates me that I have had such poor luck with shipping, but I have three goslings that are staring me in the face as we speak to show for it!

8. poultrykeeper08

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    it seems like all the eggs i get in the mail always have loose/broken air sacks . It must be the people that work at the post office !

i just put the eggs in the Sportman . I put them in an eggtray and stuck them in the hatcher section and i wont turn them for a few days . On what day should i put them on a rack so they can get turned ??

Last edited: May 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by