loose chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ga_goat, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I know that no one else has had a chick get loose , but at 64 I just couldn't
    move fast enough to catch them very well . Sometimes what should have been a
    short simple job turned into hours . I went to our 'local' flea market and saw a minnow net with a telescoping handel (5 ft ) and this has made the job easy again ,
    now if I could just see them that far away .

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I keep thinking I might need one of these nets. My little ones get under a small fig tree and the rest of my "jungle" and just refuse to come out.

[​IMG]

Luckily, I have a little 12 pound poodle who thinks that making chicks fly is the best thing ever. That's why he's never alone with the chicks. I have him trained enough that he doesn't do too much chasing, but occasionally when I just can't get that last chick to come into the coop, I'll say, "Bo, get 'em" and he'll gladly plunge into the garden to chase out the last lingering one. With a poodle on her heels, they gladly fly back into the coop.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    We loose chicks that escape, they are too small and too well camouflaged. I don't bother anymore. All chicks under 6 weeks are in the house. For larger chickens, we use a fishing landing net, but that's only when I can't corral them around their run or the barn to get back in.

4. CrochetnCricket

CrochetnCricket New Egg

Jun 22, 2009
    I had two six-week old chicks escape today (there was a hole in their run, and we didn't notice until the first one was out. The second one escaped while we chased the first one.) We live on 40 acres, and I have NO idea where these birds have gone now. With everything being brown, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Will the girls come home on their own?

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I lure them out with treats [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Scratch is the best chicken-catcher I've ever used. [​IMG]

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    oh yes how they do love the scratch corn.
    Mine also love the craneraisons and live crickets.

Figure out what their favorite treat is and keep some handy to lure out the stubborn ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by