1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loose dogs/ good & bad owners/ nobody killed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by horsejody, Jun 16, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yesterday was a bad dog day for us. We went horseback riding at a nearby park. Two idiots were out with their two idiot dogs (labs). They went after my husband's horse. The were right underneath him barking, growling and trying to bite his legs. Thankfully, the horse is extremely level headed, and he didn't bolt or rear up. The guy that owned the dog was watching this and actually said, "It's OK. They won't really bite." My husband told him it wasn't Ok and gave him a few other choice words. The people only made an effort to get the dogs when my DH told the horse to kick the dogs. Well then, the dogs owners were all upset and tried to get the dogs. They were actually mad that DH told the horse to kick them (the horse didn't actually kick them). They couldn't believe that somebody would actually want a horse to kick their precious babies just because they are trying to bite his legs. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

When we got home we let the chickens out. I took my dog for a walk, and DH was home in the yard with the chickens. And a lab come in the yard and started after them. DH yelled for him to "leave it." The dog obeyed and let DH get hold of him. Since the dog looked well cared for, elderly, didn't actually kill a chicken and apparently had some training, DH didn't shoot it. I went on a quest to find the owner. A half hour later a farmer came in his pickup. The dog belongs to his grown son and is kept in the house and in a kennel, but the kennel must not have been secured properly. He apologized profusely and promised to get after his son and grandkids about the matter. He also said that if chickens had actually been attacked he would have understood if it were shot or turned over to the sheriff. He has livestock too and understands stray dog issues. I truly believe the dog won't be back. I know dogs get loose sometimes.

Yesterday I met bad owners that let their dogs loose on purpose and a good one that had one get out by accident. Thankfully, no people, horses or chickens were injured.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    It is amazing the morons that are out there.

The deal with the horses is almost unfathomable!
    Ignorant people.

hmm... sounds like the way some folks raise their kids now adays too.

And yeah for the farmer man. He was awesome!

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Sadly, a lot of people don't give a rat's a** about possible injury to your husband or his horse. The only word that seems to fizz on people these days is 'lawsuit'. Common sense and consideration to your fellow man is almost non existant these days. Sigh. Still, I've got to believe, for my own sanity if nothing else, that there is a lot more good in the world than bad.

4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    That dog owner that was getting his kicks out of letting his dogs run loose on YOUR PROPERTY just to torture YOUR HORSE is WRONG! [​IMG] I wouldv'e wasted no time in calling the sherif once I realized what a bad and unneighborly way he treated you and your property! BLEH! I hate neighbors like that!
    And since you know what THOSE dogs look like, No more second chances...CALL THE SHERIF when you see them again! GOOD LUCK!
    As for the second owner. THAT is what I call a responsible owner! [​IMG] Not only did he notice the dog missing, (some people don't even care where their pet roam!) But he came a looking for him too! For him I would take his phone number in case the nice elderly dog shows up again. And call the owner. [​IMG]
    YOU CAN'T BEAT GOOD NEIGHBORS! [​IMG]

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    My horse never rears, or bucks when dogs come out, but he would have kicked them into next week. Thats the only thing he has after kicked when I've been in the saddle. I don't reprimand him for it. We have dogs that run along, or ride along sometimes, with us, but if one comes out yapping at his heels, he will teach them a lesson.

Some people are so ignorant!

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm glad your DH's horse was level-headed! It could have been disastrous! You can't expect non horse people to understand horse's psychology, but you can certainly expect them to realize that giant animal is nervous and about to bolt/kick/buck (and possibly kill or maim the rider).

I used to ride with a friend whose horse was so nervous around barking dogs that he actually did kick and kill her own newly introduced dog. After that, whenever we would meet dogs on the trail, we yelled that her horse had killed a dog before. It always got the dog owner's attention quick.

You might try that in the future.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:chickfillhay: if you will re-read the OP, you will see that the writer and spouse were riding in a nearby park, not their own property, and it doesn't specify that the dog owners were neighbors. However, that still does NOT excuse those dog owners' behavior, and had there been an accident such as a rider getting thrown, IMO the next thing to have been thrown was the name of the attorney that would be contacted for the lawsuit.... Some parks have leash laws, some do not, but that case of the dogs going after the horses should have been reported to park management or to the police, and those dogs should be required to stay in a restricted area or on a leash.

OP: I'm glad you and your DH were ok, and it sounds like your horses have had some very good training :) Be thankful for your neighbor who came up for the other dog, too... good neighbors are worth their weight in gold!

8. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    [​IMG] OOPS! MY BAD!!!!!!NEED STRONGER GLASSES! [​IMG]
    BUT THE POST STILL STANDS AS MY OPINION ABOUT NEIGHBORS....LOVE Y'ALL!!!!! [​IMG]

UM, Did I show you my new dog? [​IMG] HEE HEE [​IMG]
    Can you SEE the "L" on my forehead?

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:The horse incident happened in a public park, but yeah, no more second chances. We have seen the dogs before in a yard that borders the park, so we know where they live.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

What a buncha jerks!!!
    I can't believe that they think it's okay for their dogs to got after the horse...Darned lucky the horse didn't stomp em flat.

Glad the farmer guy was good about it...I can see that things like that can happen. My growing up dog Lightning used to get loose maybe once a month and run on the beach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by