Loose lightly bloody poop from a chick....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Petej, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I asked this in my other forum, but I think that since they have hatched, I need to put it in this topic....

I have a Chicken chick that hasn't done well since day one, today is day three....

It's content to lay on the floor of the brooder, move slowly and cheep loudly when touched.....

When I pick it up, it feels cold, and snuggles closer too me.

I got a loose, pink-ish (bloody?) poop from it today. What is going on with this chick?? [​IMG]

Is it too cold, ill, birth defect, my fault????? [​IMG]

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Could it be cocci this young? I don't know, but bloody poo is one of the symptoms as is lethargy. I'll pose the question to bump this up.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

How warm is your brooder pen? Sounds like it could use some heat (95 degrees for the 1st week) & maybe some electrolites. If it has eaten, it may just be the stomach adjusting to food. Good luck!

4. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Well, bad news, the chick passed away a bit ago.... [​IMG]

It was eating, but not much. I tried giving it water, but no luck there either. [​IMG]

The other three seem to be doing well.

I had the monster 250 watt heat lamp in the brooder and brought the temps up to 95, but they were laying flat, wings out and panting. I went back to the 120 watt red heat lamp and the 80-90 temps and they are running around happily again...... [​IMG]

At night I cover the brooder with towels (carefully avoiding the reflector of the lamp) and the temps hold at about 85 all night.....

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sorry you lost one. The temp sounds good, just make sure they can move to & from the heat lamp to regulate their body temp,

6. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:The heat lamp is slightly off center, so they do have a cool spot to go to. Temp in the cool spot is about 75.

They are sleeping now. They seem like little teenagers, sleep like the dead, than get up and run around, only to repeat the process......

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Better keep your eye on them, if it is cocci. it wont take long to kill them all.

8. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    None of the others have loose or bloody poops. [​IMG] Normal poops, but tiny in size, just like them. [​IMG]

All seem to be moving around just fine, happily cheeping along! [​IMG]

I will keep an eye on them , just to be safe, but so far I see no other problems....

9. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Just an update. NO bad news [​IMG]

I did some [​IMG] on Cocci (scary stuff [​IMG]), then thoroughly re-cleaned EVERYTHING!! Bleach, and than vinegar (not at the same time though).

I put the eggs from the 'Bator over by the fireplace (in a warm, but not hot spot) during the cleaning so they wouldn't loose too much heat. When I put them back int he 'Bator, they were slightly cooler than when I pulled out, but not cold. The embryos are still moving. [​IMG]

I 1000% sure my Brooder and Incubator are now sterile...... [​IMG]

My babies are now bedded down in pine litter in the brooder. It's fun to watch them scratch like the big birds, it's even better to watch them "Bathe" in the shavings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by