loose poops

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joanm, May 27, 2007.

1. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    One of my week old chicks (don't know which one) has very loose poops. Anybody know what this means? Should I be concerned? Thanks!

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Its ok...they will have a loos one every once in a while. It is thier way of cleaning out thier system.

3. joanm

May 13, 2007
    well, I figured out which one it was, one of my orpingtions. Her poop is always loose and it's a dark brown color. Still shouldn't be concerned? Just a worried mother!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont think I would worry too much. Are you giveing them treats? Maybe this is effecting them? I have noticed my Buffs have loose brown poos once in a while. They eat and drink fine...so....live and let live!

5. joanm

May 13, 2007
    Thats what my sis says. I haven't given them any treats yet, they are one week old tomorrow. I'm just a worried first time mom! Thanks!

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

It is so easy to worry about those little fluff balls. They are just so cute...and being thier "momma" it is our "job" to worry. I have RIR that are just over a year old, and when I see more than usual feather dropping, I worry still! Its normal. But....just dont make yourself sick with worry. I am sure they will be fine if they are eating and drinking...and running around normal. Enjoy them, like children, they grow up so fast!! Get LOTS of pics!!

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I have noticed with my batch any extra excitement or stress (including being let out in the run to play) has that affect on them. I also have one that is more consistant than others with the runnier poop, so I keep an eye on her. But I agree, as long as everything else is normal, then it isn't something to be overly concerned about.

Meghan

8. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    One of my girls, now 14 months old, has had runnier poops than the other two ever since she was a chick. She has a tendency to be a bit lighter weight than the other girls but her feathering, general health, energy, and egg laying has not been affected. She goes to the roost with a full crop so I know she's eating well. She does tend to drink more water than the others.

Spend some time watching your girls and see if you can see any patterns. Are all of her poops loose or are some perfectly normal? Watch her weight and make sure she's eating and drinking properly. If all goes well, perhaps it's nothing more than an individual system oddity.

9. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I would be concerned if they are running and white this could indicate they are not feeling well. We give ours some steamed rice not throughly cooked which firms up the stools.

10. joanm

May 13, 2007
    she is eating and drinking just fine and she is also as chipper as the rest! I did notice today that my other buff orp has loose poop too. I changed the paper towels in the brooder this afternoon and right now all the poop is normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by