Loose stool?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, May 16, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I put my chicks outside in the coop for their first night last night. They are 2 and 3 weeks old. They have a heat lamp that is hanging approximately 24 from the ground. The temp was chilly last night it was about 43-45 degrees. I just went down to check on them again (3rd time since morning...Lol) but anyhow I noticed a pile of really wet poop. Should I be worried or could it be stress from being outside, plus yesterday they were outside all day and ate alot of bugs and grass and leaves..etc.

2. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    My chicks are about 6 weeks now and they still have some loose poop, especially in the morning. It's mixed though, because during the night their poop left on the roost is solid and dry. I think it's normal to have mixed stools for the birds. Since they don't urinate it makes sense to me.

3. It stinks too! I have five 5 week olds and one or two has the same issue. Too much Taco Bell.

4. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    My chicks are 2 and a half weeks and they still have loose stools also... I was worried but now think its maybe normal [​IMG]

5. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    OMG the loose stuff does stink!! My six are five weeks old. I thought the dog farted (unfortunately the six are still in the house). Oh, I can't wait for the stink bombs to go outside!

6. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Can I ask why your 6 week olds are in the house? I'm just asking because I'm not sure when to put mine outside... Of course they sure are fun to watch! [​IMG]

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You can put your chicks out when they have fully feathered (usually 6 or 7 weeks) and the weather is tolerable (i.e. not freezing outside).

Runny poo happens.

[​IMG]

8. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Do you mean in a brooder in the coop?
    Or do mean I should keep them inside until 5-6 weeks? [​IMG]

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I put our chick outside a week ago, she's 5-weeks old now. Of course, we've got the tropical weather in our favor. [​IMG]

Edit: I forgot to add she's in a pretty unconventional coop...it wasn't in her coop at the time but she now has a piece of old lumber to roost on and she seems to like a box for sitting in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  10. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    mine are still inside b/c the coop isn't done yet! My carpenter friend is over worked and meticulous....so it takes him a long time to get everything "perfect." I bring the stinkies outside when I'm home and can watch them. I am looking forward to being able to leave them outside, but then, you know, I'll get that momma guilt and i'll worry about them all day and night!

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by