loose stools?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristip, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I acquired a small flock about 6 weeks ago and in past 4 weeks have noticed that one bird has loose stools ( Mustardy looking like cecal,) but daily. Seems to act normal and is very friendly, does not shy away. Has a little mess on her bottom feathers too.
    Should I worry when there is no other symptom?
    She is about 6-9 months old

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello kristip. This may be normal for her, especially since she has no other symptoms, or could be something in her diet. Do you feed them a lot of greens? Here is a link to the poop chart. If her poop matches the normal ones on this chart and she appears otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry. Good luck to you and your new flock. http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    well I looked at the chart and it looks like the cecal ones, but it says they should happen once a week rather than once or twice a day. is this ok?

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm hoping someone with more chicken experience will comment. I don't want to give you bad advice. I've had my hens for a little over a year, and in that time their poop has varied quite a bit, depending on diet and how much water they drink. If your hen has no other symptoms I think she is ok but we'll see what others have to say. [​IMG]

5. kristip

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Thanks RIR Fan... anyone else have any thoughts

6. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks for sharing that link. It helped me know that my birds are ok... I've been wondering about the white stuff!

kristip - I hope you find out if anything else is wrong soon! I'm pretty new to the chicken thing so I have little to no advise... sorry...[​IMG]

7. slangslow

slangslow Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi

Just thought id mention, on the chart under the ceacle poop pics, it actually says hens have this every 8-10 droppings. They have on average 10 droppings a day. I suppose on how much they are fed.

I have nine hens and see these very regularly, i wouldnt worry to much if i was you.

The poop page is great, keep an eye on their poop and keep that link. Im also comparing my girls droppings to this page.

Hope this helps x

8. mejsrd

mejsrd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    thanks for this link, it helped me understand that my chicken's poo is quite normal! thanks again!

9. HSCMorgans

HSCMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Bath, NY Steuben County
    What about runny/watery green poo...? I have a young hen that is ill... her poo is dark, bright green and watery?

10. williamellwood

williamellwood New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    That poo link should be on the beginners page! Very helpful. I'm 4 weeks into having chickens and that link was great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by