Loose to watery poop in newly shipped chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theuglychick, Jul 8, 2016.

1. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    This is my first order of shipped chicks, all seem to be doing well. Eating and drinking tons. However, they do seem like their poop is a little runny to even watery. 17 came from Murray McMurray, 6 came from chickensforbackyards.com (I thinknis a cackle hatchery branch). All are vaccinated for mareks and 16 are vaccinated for cocci. I didn't know if the runny stools were runny and watery from the stress of sorting, vaccinating, sexing, shipping, and handling and drinking so much for the first time, or if they're all diseased. Any ideas or tips. I called Murray mcmurray and they said it was most likely due to stress from shipping and chickensforbackyards said it was probably the water consumption, but if it doesn't clear up to put them on sulmot (no idea on spelling, pronunciation, or usage). I've got them eating medicated feed (I know it nullifies the vaccines, but I opted for that since 6 were unvaccinated for cocci), temp is between 98-100 degrees. All seem to be eating and drinking like piglets. I recieved them just this morning. Advice?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Sound too hot to me. You should have a heat gradient in the brooder; warm at one end, much cooler at the other side. The chicks will run around and get warm as needed. How big is your brooder? Mary

3. theuglychick

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    It's a pretty large plastic kiddie pool, I'd say about 5 to 6 feet across. They have plenty of room to move about. I dropped it to 95 to be safe although both hatcheries told me to keep the temp at 100 for the first day. The poop seems to be solidifying a bit, I've had a few pasty bottoms I've cleaned throughout the day. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse. So far. Thanks for the tip!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree it sounds too hot, I start brooding chicks at 85-90. If they are hot they will drink more water which can cause loose droppings.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Ok, I see you are online. Here's what you do. Go to Tractor Supply or your local feed store and get the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. http://www.nutridrench.com It's a great emergency nutritional supplement that doesn't need digests.Sucessfully battles travel stress. Jump starts the G.I. tract and the immune system. Put it in their water for 2 weeks. The water should look liked very weak tea. Measureable in the bloodstream in 10 inutes. 50% uptake in 30 minutes, 99% utilization. All Natural. No need to give them anything but chick feed, the drench and some chick grit. I have used Bovidr Drenches on my collies and poultry for oer a decade. Fab stuff. Has molasses in it to combat both the runs and constipation.
    Best,
    Karen

1 person likes this.
  6. theuglychick

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the tips and info!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by