Loosing balance and backwards movement

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abed, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Hi..

I have 3 weeks old cotornex quail...he was fine until he was 2 weeks old, then i started to notice that he cant control his balance, cant straighten his leg (the stretches), and loose his balance very easily while eating or drinking or if another quail touches him, has difficulty walking forward, then he does retract backward in an awkward way.
    I feed him 26% protein Turkey feed.
    Everything else seems to be ok...
    Any idea what that could be? Maybe a diffentioncy of some sort!
    Please help

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Perhaps vitamin B would help. It is supposed to help strengthen leg muscles.

Abed likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry about your Quail.
    Is this the same one you just lost or a different one? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/immediate-help-needed.1317326/#post-21474936
    I don't know much about them, hopefully someone like @007Sean will chime in.

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Sounds like a vitamin deficiency. You might try isolating it with another one to keep it company and administering Vitamin B complete with some boiled egg. The backward movement is indictive of wry neck, although I have never personally seen it in quail, I have had pheasants with wry neck, and what you describe is typical of a deficiency in some vitamin or a neurological condition.
    The condition is inherented via poor nutritional diet of the parent stock. If the hen that laid that egg didn't have a balanced and complete diet, those vitamins and minerals necessary to produce healthy chicks will be lacking in the ovum.

5. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Thank you so much Sean...
    Do you know what kind of B vitamin? (B1 B2 B6 B12?
    Also any idea where to get it from?

Wyorp Rock and 007Sean like this.
  7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Where are you located? Any human consumption Vitamin B complex tablets or Vitamin B complete tablets.
    You can crush them up and mix with the boiled egg.
    Walmart, or a grocery store should be carrying it in the pharmacy area of the store.

Abed and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs All of us are here to learn and share. I don't know much about them, so I will learn with you:)

Abed and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: