Loosing birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gator63, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Gator63

Gator63 New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    We have a mix of barred rock and Ameraucanas and in the past 3 days we have lost 6 birds. We started with 20 we got back on the 1st of Aug of this year. Now out of no were we are loosing birds. We live in NWF and the weather has been a little cool but we have a light on in the larger dog house they get in at night that night they are also in a 10x10 enclosed pen can any one give us any clues what to do before we loose all our birds.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

What do you mean by "loosing"? Are they found dead with no sign of injury? Are they completely missing? Do they act off? Give us some more info and we will try to help....

3. Gator63

Gator63 New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    Sorry, Dieing have found 2 dead a day for the past 3 days no sign of injury or intruders Act off ? don't know what this means. Was trying to post before I went to work.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

LOL! Sorry, Gator, I meant, are they acting "not quite right" (off) before they die? Is there any chance that they are getting into some poison of some type (old antifreeze, rat poison, etc?) Is there any mold growing in the feed, under feeders or boards in their area? What has changed since you started loosing birds? New feed, new treats, something new placed into the coop/run like bedding, roosts, containers? Without any outward sign, it will be hard to diagnose without a necropsey. Do you have an extension service in your county or a vet school anywhere closeby? I am just throwing possibilities around, I have no way of knowing if any of this is the issue.

The first thing I would do is go back to basic husbandry. Clean the feeders and waterers, make sure feed and water is fresh, clean the coop and run and put in new bedding. Check the birds over well for parasites, wounds, condition, swelling, crop condition, weight and note any odd droppings. These things may give you some insight as to where the problem lies. Since 2008, I have found two birds dead with no indication as to the cause. One was just a couple of weeks ago, and I found her in the nest box "waiting room" and it looked like she just fell over dead. It happens, but not two a day for three days. You have something going on and it should have some indication, even if very subtle. I wish I could help more....keep me posted.

5. Gator63

Gator63 New Egg

Nov 5, 2012
    Thanks will check what you posted but nothing has changed no poison or bad feed same as we are feeding our other chickens these birds are in a seperate pen from the others ones we have all eating the same food and drinking from the same water point but seperate drinking / feed containers I will clean the pen today and change the bedding but it looks like we will loose another bird today 7 in 4 days now all out of the same group all my outher chickens are doing fine Could the change of weather be a problem? I have had 2 other people tell me this might be the problem thanks J

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have never lost any birds from weather changes, that I know of. I guess it could be. It sounds like they are getting into something. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by