1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loosing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ridinem, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ridinem

ridinem New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    Last spring I lost a Delaware to what appeared to be Merricks, she was a year old. In December I lost my Buff without much warning, she was being a little quiet and I noticed she was thin and not sitting on the perch with the other chickens anymore. I had gotten her at the same time as the Delaware, but from a different source. At the same time another chicken, approx 6 months old, suddenly couldn't walk on her right leg. She seemed ok other wise, she held on for almost 3 weeks then passed. Now, her "sister" (same breed purchased at same time) is being very quiet and is not sitting on the perch anymore, but seems to be walking OK. She also seems thin. (food and water is available at all times). I am going to remove her from the remaining 3 chickens tonight into a dog crate to separate her. What could be going on???? They get layer pellets, scratch, and some crushed oyster shells. I give them warm water twice a day (it is very cold here).

2. ridinem

ridinem New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    OOOPS, didn't mean to double post this, I thought my first post didn't go through.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    I would suspect Coccidiosis.

Here in California they will test for it--The test was $10.50. Alternatively you could treat with Corid.

chickens usually catch Mareks at hatch. Nearly all chickens get it and then about two years later some die of marks Cancer. check with your Sate Food Safety Lab and see if they do Necropsies. http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu does this for State residence with less than 1000 chickens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds like what I went thru with Marek's. Sporatic deaths for no reason. Skinny but "seen" eating. Acting normal til the end. There is not much you can do. The next chicks you get should be vaccinated and quarantined for at least 3 weeks. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2! Sorry for your losses.

Here are some veterinary diagnostic labs listed by state:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

California does free necropsies on chickens, turkeys and waterfowl for residents, limit two per day and will also let you use their FedEx number to save on shipping. If you live in the US, it's definitely worth looking into.

-Kathy

6. ridinem

ridinem New Egg

Feb 3, 2014
    thanks for the info... she passed away last night after not really getting worse or better. Her eye color was fine, not discolored like the merricks eye looks. Really bummed here... have lost 3 chickens (we only had 6 to start!) in two months. So, if it was merricks what can I do? I am still trying to verify if these chickens were vaccinated before I got them but so far it looks like they were.

7. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Send one in for Necropsy. You can mail them via Fedex to the UCD Lab.

I think there is a charge for out of State Flocks but you can use their Fedex account. They will even bill you later.

It is only guessing until you have the testing.

Quote:

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think the out of State fee is at least $125 per bird and it's probably best to call and ask for the FedEx number they want you to use. [​IMG]

This is how I ship one:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

-Kathy

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    All you can do is vaccinate and quarantine chicks you buy. Unless you specifically request Marek's vaccination to chicks from a hatchery, the chicks are most likely not vaccinated. Feed stores are clueless and the word "probably" or "I think so" mean they are not. I just got some from a hatchery and the shipping slip states Marek's vaccinated . The nice thing about hatcheries is that they use a triple strain (?) vaccine that we can not get or afford to get .

I'm sorry you are going thru this, it's got to be especially bad for new chicken people because they think it's their fault.

1 person likes this.
  10. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    That is a very good point!

Chickens just die and sometime you do not know why. Do not beat yourself up about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by