1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loosing chicks, very hard shell, tough membrane

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shawneegyrl, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Shawneegyrl

Shawneegyrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    Getting good hatches from all the eggs set except for 1 Wheaten Bantam. Just a few of her chicks make it out of the shell. I have opened a lot of the eggs and find a beautiful, fully developed chick that has taken up the yolk but died before internal pip. I thought they took up the yolk after internal pip and before external pip.

The membrane seems tough. I know her shells are very hard compared to all my other hens' eggs and much harder to candle. She has the same diet as all the others.

Any thoughts on this? Is it hereditary?

I feel helpless and awful about the poor chicks. I know they should be strong enough to escape the egg on their own, but I think these guys are being challenged too much!

She only lays every 2-3 days so I feel like every egg is precious

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    So sorry to hear your dilemma.. Only thing I would try is this:: If you are feeding them layer feed. (which is ideal for laying hens) I would give her ( if possible to separate ) starter feed or flock raiser, or allflock, which is 2% calcium and offer crushed oyster shells free choice.
    Then look at her eggs and try to determine if the egg shells are becoming thinner. Candling the eggs of all, or just cracking the eggs when you are about to consume them will show the egg shell toughness.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Shawneegyrl

Shawneegyrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    Winter Springs, FL
    My Coop
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by