Loosing feathers???

kplchicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
I recently got my first chickens, they are eight weeks old. I have noticed a lot of loose feathers in the run and coop. They all look beautiful and seem happy and healthy. Do they molt or loose feathers at this age? They are coming from one or two of the birds but the third is a totally different color. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Relax...they are working into the next set of feathers and won't be done changing them out for awhile. Our gang is 13 weeks old and still growing into their adult feathers. It freaked me out at first too.

Hopefully someone will come along and give you more insight...

Dawn

They are fine. Loseing thier "baby" feathers...getting thier "teen" feathers. I swear...mine are 22 weeks, and when I go out there...it looks like someone had a pillow fight in there! LOL

Thank you. That is what I was thinking/hoping but just needed some reassurance.

I'm so glad this question has been asked and answered! I've had chicken before and realized that they molted but this is the first time we've raised them from babies. I was starting to wonder about all the feathers. I love picking up the interesting ones to use in artwork but I'm thinking I might need to get the rake out and sweep up the lot. Like a pillow fight for sure!

Thanks so much for this post. I, too, have 8 week old Wyndottes, and two of them are loosing their tails and body feathers. I looked for mites, but I don't think I saw any...what with all the fighting, squacking, etc. etc.
I came immediately in and am now reassured that all is ok. This website is absolutely wonderful.

Hello & Welcome to BYC, dturren!
frow.gif

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom