1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loosing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rachael1014, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Rachael1014

Rachael1014 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Hi,

i was wondering if someone has any information in regards to why one of my chickens (i have 8 in total) would be losing feathers? she has lost all of her tail feathers and all over her body, she has slowly be deteriotering over the last 3-4 months, i have checked her for mites and treated them all for them as well as treated their coop etc, they are up to date with worming.
    I cant think what else it might be?? i reserched overian cancer but she is still laying eggs i think?? she eats and runs around happily, her glove on the top of her head has decresed in size though, but still can get up on her perch, so still has pleanty of energy.

Maybe its diet?? or is she lacking something in vitamins or minerals??

She is the only one out of 8, the others are fine and healthy and have all their feathers.

If any one else can shed some light or have any experience in this i would love to hear from you.

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It could be a hard molt. For deficiencies, we need to know what you are feeding. [​IMG] Welcome to our flock! [​IMG]

3. Rachael1014

Rachael1014 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Hi,
    Thank you, they are eating Red Hen Layer seed + shell grit every now and then and table scraps ( including meat scapes, bread, egg shells) evey couple of days.
    [​IMG]

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What is in Red Hen Layer seed? I am not familiar with it. I'm gonna see if I can look it up....They should be getting a minimum of 16% protein in their feed and have access to oyster/egg shell and grit every day, always.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Ok, I found Red Hen layer Feed, probably what you meant. It is low in protein, lacking in some key minerals and IMHO should not contain cobalt or iron. You may want to consider a different feed and at least temporarily, a high protein feed for feather re growth. formulated chicken food should be 85 to 90% of their daily diet, in other words, be sparing on the scraps.

6. Rachael1014

Rachael1014 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    Hi Thank you, Yes that is what i meant.

Ok great, IMHO what is that? What do you mean by key minerals just would like to know what to look for in the feed.

Oyster shells how do you give them that? do you need to grind them up or can you already buy them like that?

would you reccommend giving them live mealworms or maggotts, or lean beef mince as well??

Thank you again [​IMG]

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    IMHO means in my humble opinion. Key minerals, a few are: calcium, zinc, phosphorous, copper, etc. Some are in the form of oxides or sulfates and such.There are several variations on the calcium additives too, some are to help with absorption/conversion. They also need vitamins A, E , K, D3 and many in the B family. One day, I'm gonna take a pic of a feed tag for these Q's. Anyway, go to the Purina web site and look at layer and all flock feed. You'll see what should be in chicken food.
    Meal worms are a great protein snack for chickens, no clue about maggots but I would imagine they're ok.
    Giving your chickens a little wet cat food now and again is good. They like meat once in a while. My chickens like Fancy Feast canned cat. They are tiny cans, I use a whole can for 17 birds.
    Oyster shell, in the section with chicken food, comes already crushed, to a size suitable to stay in their system for a length of time so that they digest it better. Give this to them every day, they know when they need it, just like grit. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Rachael1014

Rachael1014 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    LOL!
    THank you so much for info, i will definitely be having a look at the Purina website and my cats like that food too, so i will give them one of those as well.

Will let you know how i go now with my new info and fill you in.

Thanks again very much appreciated.[​IMG]

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    YW! We love updates, looking forward to your next post! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by