Loosing head feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fanov8, May 17, 2010.

1. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    :flHi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and new to chickens too. We got our chickens from our local farm store (Orscheln's) about 10 weeks ago. They were day olds when we got them. We have a White Crested Black Polish Roo. He has been doing fantastic, until I noticed today that his feathers are falling out! And it literally happened overnight! We have a nearly a solid week of rain, don't know if that could be the problem. Or if the "girls" have been picking on him. Or is he just loosing those and growing his adult feathers in? Or do we have something like mites or lice? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

ETA: His "poof" used to be nice and fluffy, he just looks so pitiful now!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Anybody have any ideas?

3. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Double posted, I'm sorry!!

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Really? No one has any ideas for me? Ok, thanks anyways. [​IMG]

5. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    One last bump before I give up [​IMG]

6. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    It appears to me, that "someone" is helping his feathers fall out. I have a helper - she likes bottoms - when she plucks a feather out of her life partners behind - that is pretty much how it looks. I have tried every remedy known and made up and still it continues. I would search for "feather picking" on here and start the workng your way through the list of "fixes" until you get to the one that seems to work. If you have some, try sticking some vicks vapo rub on the fellas head - now that it's read it will become even more attractive. THere are several other things you can buy to put on him that taste bad and keep the offenders at bay - but you do have to apply them regularly. Then you will just need to watch and see if you can catch the offender. The tophat birds are very attractive to other curious chickens!
    Good Luck!
    Jenny

ETA - WELCOME! Sorry you got missed!

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by