loosing tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denisejmdk, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Denisejmdk

Denisejmdk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida
    One of my buff hens is getting her tail feathers plucked by another hen. The plucking just started this week. Should I be worried?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    You need to separate the hen being bullied and let her heal. Then you need to figure out why this is started. Do they have plenty of space (4sq ft inside the coop and 10 sq ft outside)? Plenty of feed and fresh water? Something to keep them entertained when they are cooped up?

3. Denisejmdk

Denisejmdk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida
    I have a run big enough for four people to fit in and the coop is 4 feet high and 4 foot wide. Connecting the two is a small run aprox 5ft by 3ft There are 5 hens and a frizzeled rooster together . I was on vacation for a week and the sitter filled the food dish with scratch instead of crumbles. The woman knows better she has sat for me before.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Maybe the stress of someone else taking care of then stressed them out. If the coop is only 4x4 it really is only big enough for 4 birds. If it hasn't been an issue before and you've had them for a long time they could be ok with the space.

If it was me I would separate the one being picked and let her heal entire I put her back into the coop

5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I imagine getting them back on their regular feed and routine will help. They were likely suffering a protein deficiency, which can cause feather picking and eating.

If your picked mama has a bald spot, you can put a little iodine or BluKote on her to cover any redness and offer high-protein treats like mealworms.

If this DOESN'T stop the picking, identify the bully and separate her for a week. Solitary confinement should soften her condition and allow the pecking order back in the coop to reset itself. When she is re-introduced, she'll be on the bottom.

Keep us posted! :)

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by