1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loosing teathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chixnva, Nov 23, 2014.

1. chixnva

chixnva Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    I have five chickens, two are 18 months old the other three are about 8 months old. One of my older chip has lost a lot of feathers...tail,wings and on her body. Is she being pecked on? Have isolated her for now. Will her feathers grow back?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's normal and part of poultry keeping.
    Chickens always molt around the second autumn and every one thereafter. Birds hatched early in the year may molt their first autumn. They lose all their feathers in sequences and grow a new winter coat. All birds molt.
    It's a necessary process to replace those that get lost or broken throughout the year.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. chixnva

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    yes but it is now in the low teens at night here won't it get too cold for her to be in the coop?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She'll be fine. It just got cold early this year. My Jaerhons always molted in January.

5. chixnva

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    Yes but it has been getting down into the teens at night, won't it be too cold for her with all there bare spots?

6. chixnva

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    Ok thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it. Will let her go back out with the others and just keep an eye on her.

7. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I was just wondering about that, I have 6 pullets that were born on March 25 and started molting last month. I was concerned about that, I thought they were too young to molt, then I read somewhere that when you put young pullets and hens in the same coop, when the hens start molting the pullets molt too and nobody can explain why this happens, it just happens. I guess I should not worry about it then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by