Loosing too many chicks

ScottKelly1974

Songster
May 6, 2016
Colorado
I have been raising chick all year. But now I have been loosing a lot of chicks. I've tried different things including changing the set up, and concluded they are being affected by cold.

I have heat lamps set up but they seem to be less effective with the change in season. I was looking at the radiant heating system and would like to know what kinds of experiences people have had with them. Is one better than another? What kind of set up is best for using them?

Where do you keep your brooder? What size is it? I would think a 12" tall brooder would be easier to maintain temp than a taller one. The heat source is closer to the floor, heating the underneath of the chicks. Insulate the brooder. Use heating pads under the floor. Heat the the building it is kept in. Just some ideas, I don't know your situation. My feet freeze in the winter in a lot of cars. There is a lot of heat blowing on my face, maybe even on the floor, but no insulation in the floorboards to keep my legs from turning to ice.

Back
Top Bottom