Lordy! Already paranoid...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comp6512, Sep 4, 2009.

1. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    I am getting 20 BO chicks this 28th of September and of course getting all theoretically prepared by reading the posts.

One thing I did not see mentioned - what do ya all do when you are cleaning the main brooder? I mean where do you put the chicks in the mean time?

I was thinking to get two identical clear totes and rotate them - while one is being cleaned, the chicks are running in the other one. Thougts?

2. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Your idea is exactly what I have done with my chicks. Just make sure you get a large enough tote that they can't jump out of. I used one that is at least 16 inches deep and put paper towels on the bottom for easy clean up of the tote.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    sure, put them into another box, tote or container. sometimes i just set them on the lawn. whatever. as long as you keep an eye on them, they are fine.

no worries!!! it's not rocket science. it will be fun, you can do it!!! [​IMG]

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Perfect advice from the 2 above![​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Use wood pellets and you won't have to clean the whole thing out.

With my first set of 10 chicks, I used a HUGE stock tank and pine and/or aspin shavings.

I would just use a kitty litter scoop and scoop out the shavings on one half at a time. The chicks would move to the opposite side while I was scooping.

With my banties I used the wood pellets and LOVED them. They dry out the poo within minutes. I used a spoon to scoop out the dried poo occasionally. Never had to replace the wood pellets the whole 7 wks they were in the brooder.

I'm getting 25 fuzzy butts shipped on 9/21 and plan to only use the wood pellets. For the first 3 days or so, I'll use puppy pads over the pellets until they learn what the food is. I liked the puppy pads better than paper towels because they're bigger and more obsorbant.

Good luck with your little ones. They grow so very fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by