Los Angele backyard boogy'in chicken pickin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fmontez1, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fmontez1

fmontez1 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Hello all,

I just found this site today, loads of great info on here.

My story is a little different, I wasn't really looking to go full backyard chicken status, but my uncle used to have a big coop complex behind his house, and since my uncle passed away, it has gone dormant.

My sister has 2 kids, 3 and 4 years old, and I just thought they'd love to see some chickens grow up, and it could be a fun little project, plus free eggs to boot. I brew beer, and need something to do with the spent grain is it good for them? I also garden quite a bit, and could use a good source of fertilizer.

Right now I have 4 chickens. I had 5 but one died after the largest chicken pecked the little runty one to death.

Here is a video of my ladies (Hopefully, i think one is a male) in the coops I mention. Can anyone give me any info on the different breeds I have? Are they old enough to tell?

Let me know what you think of the chicken run? How many chickens do you think it can support?

We do get predators in the backyard, but I've been sealing the area up with Home Depot Poultry netting, and it looks pretty secure to me.

Thanks for any tips, looking forward to getting this going. . . I think I've inadvertently caught the chicken bug.

- Fred.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about the loss of your chicken. Very nice video. Your chickens are young, and not real easy to see through the fencing, but it looks like you have a Barred Rock and some Rhode Island Reds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. fmontez1

fmontez1 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    thanks!

They are young about a month and a half. The barred rock I figured, but the Rhode island reds seems right too, thanks!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice setup, I agree with the opinion on breeds. It looked like one of your hens (a bit shorter than the others) couldn't make good contact with the nipple waterer- maybe it needs to be a sqoosh lower for her and any other shorties.

You will keep out a lot more predators if you back the chain link with 1/2" hardware cloth instead of poultry wire. Preds can bite and tear thru poultry wire like it was nothing. That means raccoon paws could still snag body parts to be eaten off on the spot. Really hate raccoons. [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the losses!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss. But you have a lovely little flock!

Good luck with them and we do welcome you to our roost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by