Losing 1 chick a day! What's happening to our chicks??

MadamePoulette

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
In the last 8 days we lost 7 chicks! 6 buckeyes and 1 Americana. The buckeyes were all in the same brooder but there were also other breeds in there which seem fine. I'm wondering if this is more common with Buckeyes (Maybe they are more sensitive to the elements?) or if this is just a fluke? They are about 3 weeks old I think. There is nothing obvious that I can see on them to indicate what happened. Any thoughts from someone with experience?

that is really strange to have that many chicks die, I'm sorry
hugs.gif
do you think they over heated? don't really know
idunno.gif

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
This is unusual, especially since there are no visible signs of stress/disease.
sad.png
You mentioned the elements, could you describe your brooder set up? How big? How many chickens? Feed/water? temperature? etc.

I don't think so. It's only about 20C here most days. We have been putting the heat lamp on at night as it gets really cool out after sundown. And all the other breeds (except one bird) are fine. There are 4 other breeds and Runner Ducklings in there and they are fine.
We got the Buckeyes from two different sources and found out one seller got her birds from the other so they are all the same bloodline. Could it be some sort of genetic flaw?

The brooder is 6 seperate 4 by 3 foot "pens" inside a ventilated barn. The air can flow (the chicks are 3 ish weeks) and the temperature is 20C average. At night a heat lamp is on if its cool outside. We check the water and feed regularly, so that's not the issue.

Another one gone! This time its a cornish but still from the same breeder...don't know what's happening. Any advice is appreciated.

Could it be coccidiosis?? Coccidiosis is everywhere and thrives on wet conditions, especially around the waterer if any water is spilled. I don't know what else could be the reason. I hope someone can help. This is not normal and it sounds like they've gotten an illness. Good luck.

So Sorry!
hugs.gif
This just happened to a friend of mines chicks at the same age, and it turned out they had Coccidiosis. You might want to read up on it and see if you think it is what your chicks might have. Good Luck!
smile.png

Thanks Nicole and Chickee! I'll read up on it right away. If it is caused by wet conditions it may by exactly what could be hapenning. Its been a super rainy wet humid summer over here...not at all like our usual summer so could make sense.

Back
Top Bottom