Losing a chick to cold temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Just a question for those who have lost a chick dying to cold weather... I put my chicks out in the coop last night they are 5 1/2 weeks and seem fine.. they have an ecoglow to huddle under if needed. The coop is draft free and has two windows that let in sunlight late morning and all afternoon-they are sunbathing and seem to love it and also did this when they were in the house near the window.

Now I am reading here and second guessing myself... I just a read where someone had 4 week old chicks out in winter and they were appeared fine then died after a week.

How a I to tell if they are ok, they are not huddling during the day but they did last night when sun set, which is what they did indoors. Would they let me know if there is a problem by their behaviour or could they suddenly succumb to cold without warning?

Sorry worried mother "hen" here- in my mind putting them out now was a good idea since they have nearly all their feathers and the longer I wait the colder it's going to get.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    First off I have not recently seen any posts with complaints of chicks dying of cold. Why do you seem concerned about yours bc at 6 weeks they are basically fully feathered and all the base down feathers are there to keep them warm?

4 week old chicks dying a week later may be the result of dying not bc of the cold that is an assumption.

If they are not huddled around a heater and they are not crying and peeping like they are panicked and it doesn't stop then you need to be concerned. If they are just grouped up and peeping quietly like the small sleeping peep don't wake or bother them nothing is wrong.

Be assured the coat of down they have developed as winter neared is plenty for them to stay warm all the way through winter. No More Heat!! Your doing good and just know its OK to be concerned bc your a mommy thats all.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    ok thank you, the post I read was on this site on thread about needing a definitive answer about when chicks can regulate their body temp- the last post there I just read, the person said be careful, I lost 4 week old chicks etc etc... I dont know how to link to it..

anyway just being overly cautious I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by