Losing alot of goslings this season.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Goosehaven, May 18, 2011.

1. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I've lost a total of 6 goslings this year so far which is unusual to lose that many from nest hatching for me. I hate it but the weather has been so chilly here at night the past few days I'm thinking momma is letting them get too cold before I can get to them in the mornings. It always seems they hatch in the middle of the night for us. I had one pipped yesterday so I checked the nest 3 times through the night last night because I was bound and determined to not let another one die. He was all the way hatched at 5 a.m. so I promptly got him to the brooder with his sister. I'm watching another one now who will hopefully be hatched by dark tonight. Luckily I'm on vacation the rest of the week so, if not I'll be checking this little one all night long too until it hatches.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, I think a lot of it is this awful weather. I'm northeast of you in the Detroit area, and it has been really awful. Sunday, the afternoon high was 42 and poured cold rain. That type of weather must be really hard on birds.

I had a nest of cardinals in my hedge that I saw on Friday evening, with 3 fairly tiny babies, had some down and a few wing feathers coming in. Monday night, they were in there all dead. I guess the parents just couldn't keep them dry and warm in the cold rain. It was sad. I buried them so that they wouldn't attract predators since the nest was close to my pens.

Last night, the parents were working on a new nest in my magnolia bush (that was fast!), so I guess life does go on despite tragedy.

3. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    I'm so sorry about your losses!
    I'm glad you've set up a nice brooder for your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by