Losing another chicken

whispurr

Songster
Mar 23, 2022
We started with 14 chickens in March. All but 3 have died. Now we are losing another one. I was getting an egg or two a day but none for the past 3 days. The one that's dying started hanging out by herself a few days ago and today she's kind of laying on her side like the last one did. She won't make it to morning. This is a pic of her poop. We have 10 new babies in a building the hens/rooster haven't been in. I posted a while back because she never grew much of a comb and it's light pink. I don't know if I got a bad batch (or two.) I got 8 buff Orpington chicks in March, then 4 Easter eggers in May. I have one EE rooster and 2 BO hens, one of which is dying. I'm going to get a necropsy done on this dying one but any ideas what's happening? One day they are chasing me around the yard then they just stop. No signs of inquiry. Ideas?

Attachments

• 20220928_183720.jpg
    20220928_183720.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 6
What state are you in? Keep the body cold, and take it in to the state vet if possible tomorrow am. Or you cannget a prepaid shipping label from the lab sometimes for overnight shipping through Fedex or UPS. Call them early, and ask what is best. Have they all had runny droppings or any bloody poo? What are you feeding them? How are they kept? Did they come from a hatchery, feed store, or another person? Sorry for your loss. Here is a list of most state vet labs to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom