Losing "big girl" feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backtothesoil, Apr 24, 2009.

1. backtothesoil

backtothesoil New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Hi everyone [​IMG] We are first time chicken parents to 5 EE's that are about 2 months old. They are outside in their coop with a heat lamp, and seem to be thriving, but I am finding what look like adult chicken feathers all around the yard where they free range. I would expect them to still be losing some baby feathers, but is something wrong when I am finding feathers like this?

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of our girls, seems from the feather colors that its not just one girl losing them.

[​IMG]

They seem to be pretty happy together, although I did notice one of the darker ones grabbing another dark one by the cheek feathers and pulling. Other than that, I have just seen the usual jumping on each other (I assume thats usual anyways)! They do flap around like crazy when I let them out in the morning, like they are stretching their wings so I thought some feathers could be from that , but I also find feathers inside the coop too. Please reassure me! [​IMG]

2. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    We have 2 RIR's about the same age, maybe 9 weeks old. I've also been finding feathers in the run. The girls love each other and get along great, but I suspect we have a pecking order thing going on. I can't be sure, but I think most of the feathers are from Rosie - Penny appears to be the queen bee of the coop and even though she'd be lost without Rose, she still feels it's necessary to remind Rosie of her place in the family.

At first I thought we might have some type of mite - but haven't seen any bugs and we use DE in the coop and run and clean everything out at least once a week. So ... I'm guessing you just have pecking order disorder, just like me [​IMG]

3. backtothesoil

backtothesoil New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Thanks! It probably is just pecking order disorder [​IMG]

But...in case its not, how would I check for mites? Would they be really obvious, or could they be infested and me not know it? I am still finding a lot of feathers, so I would like to rule out everything if I can. Thanks for the help!! [​IMG]

4. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Sorry to get back to you so late. I'm no expert, but I think you just have to lift their feathers and look around on their skin. I think you might check around the tail, and under the wings (if they'll let you). I think your birds will also act like they are itchy.

Perhaps someone with more experience can help us out with info on how to find mites.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I have the same thing in much younger chicks. My girls (and boy) are 3 weeks old and after observing for the last 2 days, I found out that my more "gentle" EE was taking after both of the bantams. I'm positive it's pecking order in my case.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Interesting - my 10 wk olds are also losing a few of the same length as yours just in the last couple of days.

None of mine pick on each other, so I'm assuming it's due to new feather growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by